sheared base screws

Even whole actions glued into benchrest stock come out. Put a clothes iron on it on high and let it sit for an hour. Most epoxies will lose their grip. Never hot enough to hurt the tempering in the steel.
Shep

Use iso-alcohol to clean screw holes and screws from any possibility of oil. Also clean the bottom of rail and top of action. A drop of BLUE loctite on each screw and bottom of rail. Torque to spec. Can always be removed with a little heat. If that doesn't work then your screw are either too long or your holes are not tapped deep enough. Had an X-bolt where the latter was the case.
I would use Break cleaner not iso-alcohol. ISO will leave a residue cleaner will not. Use an air gun or caned air to make sure it is thoroughly dry.

There are many things that work well, this is my favorite.

Mo
I checked my front screw length by installing only the front one and it tightened the rail to the action...I was worried because it only engaged for 2.5 turns. I then removed the rail and checked to make sure the other three screws were able to go all the way thru the action, and they could. It's at my gunsmith now getting 8-40s put in. I will also epoxy it.
More than likely if your screws were to long when you torqued them down and they sheared off it would have been a booger to get them back out so if they in screwed fairly easy they were not bottomed out. David

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.