She is here and she is one BAD ***!!!

LOL right on.

I am thinking Artemis is good one too. Sounds like a dude, Arty, but she is a huntress. Might use this one for my little girly LR rig.

Really looking forward to seeing your results.

Your one has basically the same barrel tennon & action size as mine did, your barrel is longer, mine was 32".

Have you shot her yet ?

Been 16 months but worth the wait!

375 Viersco mag proprietary cartridge. One of a kind.

The 375 Viersco Magnum was developed for the super long range" Hard Target Interdiction" rifles.

Ballistics:
33.5" barrel test

375gn Cutting Edge bullet
H-BMG 50 powder
3300 fps
9100 Foot pounds at the muzzle

3000 yds super sonic
------------------------------------

350gn Predator solid
H-BMG50
3450 fps

Custom action from Dave Viers, 34" Lilja barrel 1"9 twist to facilitate up to 450 gr 375 bullets. Manners stock. etc.

The cartridge compared to 338 RUM and 280 AI---180 gr capacity

Theoretically it will launch 260 accubonds at 4000 fps but it will not stabilize them.

Here is the webpage.....Yes that is my rifle on it!!!

375 Viersco Magnum

375 VM Test Results

Hi POP:

VERY nice looking rifle! A few questions/clarification, please:

1. The ballistic data you note at the beginning of the post are from the bottom of this Viersco page - 375 VM Test Results Those tests were done in Feb 2012, about the time you placed your order (16 month build). I understood that those tests were done with the XLR-chassis-based rifle (also pictured on the Viersco page), at that time with a 33.5" barrel. Dave subsequently went forward, per the info on that page, to a 42" barrel and then started dropping back (chopping the barrel off) and testing for results. Your pic notes a 34" Lilja barrel and the pic of your rifle on the Viersco page notes,"Custom Viersco Single Shot Action, Manners carbon fiber stock, Lilja 9 twist 36" barrel with 4 port shark bite muzzle brake, Stainless on black stock finish, "spider webbing"." Long way to get around to it, do you have any ballistics from your finished 34" barreled rifle? If not, what's the latest plan?

2. The brass you show is properly stamped. Of whose manufacture?

3. You note a one-of-a-kind design (for the cartridge). I was under the impression that Dave has built, and is building, others, specifically V2, long necks. Was (is) yours the only short neck? What caused you to go "short neck"?

4. The action is noted as "custom action". Dave's site notes "Barker Machine Works will be offering a modified action just for the VM cartriges." Is yours an "enhanced" Barker Overwatch or an action John is now offering of his own design and manufacturer?

Thank you, great shooting, and God Bless!

Oscar

What land/groove config does that barrel have? Why would the 260's not stabalize? Is that a lawton action?

1:9 twist . I do not think it will stabilize the short 260. It will stabilize 300-414 gr bullets.

As for the action I quote Builder Dave viers.

Just to clarify a few things.
The bolt face on the action is .690
Case head is .675
Case body is .680 Just a slight rebate
Case is 3.050 long
Barrel tennon is 1.187 x16 tpi
Barrel shank size 1.350 to 1.450 is perfect
375VM2 stands for 2nd design, 40 deg shoulder

I have tested this round at speeds of 3700fps with 350 gn bullets. I had to tap the case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. No damage was done to the brass except for the extractor mark in the brass rim. I cleaned off the damaged part and reloaded the brass. This brass is built very strong.
The locking lugs are just as solid as a bolt with a M16 type extractor cut along side the lug. I use longer lugs on my bolts than Lawton or Barker does. I had some action tubes custom cut for me, i do all the final machining and build my own bolts to keep tolerances uniform. Barker was supose to make a VM action, but could not deliver.
I use a similar foot print as the Lawton 8000, makes it easier to get stocks. I have larger dia action tubes, but then you have to get into much larger stocks or Aluminum chasis. 1.625" and 1.700" for hunting type rifles i like to stay with 1.600" tubes and try to keep the weight down. The VM takes a longer barrel to burn the powder so weight can be an issue for some. 35" is the shortest i would use.
Lawton 8000 can be modified for the VM, the Siller TAC 408 can not. Stiller has an m16 type extractor and it cant be moved.

Cheers
Dave

Man oh man that is a bad "bitch". Bet it will shoot as good as it looks. Great plan and execution.

1:9 twist . I do not think it will stabilize the short 260. It will stabilize 300-414 gr bullets.

As for the action I quote Builder Dave viers.

I am very surpised that Dave goes with a 1.185" thread diameter on this. Personally, I think this is minimum with the Cheytac based wildcats and with softer button pulled barrels, I have noticed with top end pressures that 1.185 is marginal. Cut rifled barrels are fine.

With the larger case diameter and shoulder diameter I would think he would be recommending 1.250" thread diameters and a minimum of 1.450" shank diameter to control any possible chamber swelling which would result in extraction problems.

Maybe Dave is loading this one to lower pressures then his Snipetac wildcats as I know he loads them pretty hot. Just surprised he goes with this relatively small thread diameter for such a large diameter chambering. He may also only use cut rifled barrels which as mentioned, help a lot because they are simply harder. He may also use a good amount of body taper in his design which would also be needed for good extraction with high pressure loadings and the baring surface on this huge case.

Very interesting none the less.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.