Shawns 338 Edge Brass.

4xforfun

Any of you guys tried Shawns new 338 Edge brass for any other projects. I have it in my head, for some dang reason, to build a 7mm Ultra on the new brass. I would love to build a 7mm Allen mag, but don't have anything with that bolt face. My guess is that with the good brass this 7mm would nearly mirror Kirbys big 7. I already have a couple of 7mm Rem mags, 300 wby, and a 338 Edge. I just have an urge to do a super 7....just add another BBL to my A-5 platform

Is the standard 7mm REM Ultra Mag based on the 300 RUM or the 338 RUM case?

I would not get my hopes up on any 7MM UM nearly mirroring Kirby's Allen Mag.

Why not? The case capacity is nearly identicle. The problem before was the poor remmy brass. If..and I say if ... one is able to load the new Burtram brass to the same PSI as the Lapua brass, why couldn't I expect comprable results?

The whole reason everything built off of the 338 Lapua case works so well is the fantastic brass!!

I would think you could get within 100 fps (maybe closer) of the 7 AM with better brass then the Remington for the 7 RUM.
We have a 7 RUM with a 28"+ barrel shooting a 180 VLD just over 3200 fps using Rem brass and get 4 loadings before the primers start falling out.

Any of you guys tried Shawns new 338 Edge brass for any other projects.

My next brass purchase for the 270 AM will be the stuff from Shawn.

I've gone quite conservative on how to treat brass as it is so hard to come by. I've reduced velocity of 169.5s to 3250 which seems enough. But 3400 was way better.:)

The Bert brass may let me approach those velocities.

I shoot so little no that barrel life isn't an issue. Almost all of the rocks in Bingham county are dead. I'm focusing on animals!

I'll post how it works out. Which I suspect will be very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts