SHARPS 45-70

G

ANYBODY EVER PLAY WITH A SHARPS FOR LONG RANGE,I'VE BEEN SHOOTING ONE FOR SOME TIME BUT HAVE NEVER TRIED TO EXTEND THE RANGE PAST 150yds I KNOW THE OLD TIMERS CLAIMED 800 TO 1000yrds WITH THEM. I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME INPUT ON THIS SUBJECT

Dave King and I shot with a pair of guys who used Sharps rifles on a tactical course a couple of years ago. They made hits on steel man-targets out at 900 and 1000 yards with their open-sights and big cast-lead bullets. They were good fellows and let everyone try their Sharps, I believe that most guys managed hits out at 900. They claimed that you can pull the trigger, pour yourself a coffee, have a sip, then you hear the clang.
They shot the rifles prone using two little crossed sticks with a leather strap between them that the rifle sat on, sort of like a hammock. After each shot they remove the case, then insert another case into the chamber that has a piece of elastic tubing attached to the base, then they blow a few times into the hose. Something about the moisture from their breath softening the powder residue I seem to recall. This is a definite situation where a person would want to blow, not suck unless you enjoy the taste of sulfur.
Anyhow, you should give it a try, just make sure your target is reasonably large. I shoot on another range where a club made a life-sized steel buffalo and at one point they had the buffalo setup at 1650 yards and shot at it with their Sharps rifles. Now it is at 1100 yards - pretty tough for our .308's but nice shooting for our .300's.

If you do a search for black powder silhouette shooting, you will open a door to long range with black powder cartridges. Yes, shooting that far is not only possible but components are now off the shelf.

On the east coast they are going to start 1000yd prone shooting again using BP cartridges. Check with the NRA for details.

I have a friend that shoots with us and has scared the gongs many times at 700yds. There are lots of different tweaks needed for BP which I am not totally familiar with so will refer you to others on BP boards.

As long as you have the elevation, with a very stiff load and 500+gr 45cal bullets. Going to 1000yds is possible.

Jerry

ONE TIDBIT OF INFO I LEFT OUT IS THAT THIS IS A REPLICA AND I'M NOT SHOOTING BLACKPOWDER NOW BEFORE ANYBODY HAS HEART FAILURE THE MANUFACTURER SAID IT WILL WITHSTAND THE PRESSURES FOR ANY LOAD FOR 1895 MARLIN. I TRIED THE 400gr LEAD BULLET AND COULD GET NO GROUP SMALLER 3" AT 50yds NO MATTER WHAT POWDER OR CHARGE.NOW I AM SHOOTING 300gr SIERRA HP WITH 51.2grs IMR 4198 AND I AM GETTING VERY CONSISTENT RESULTS
HECK I CAN TOUCH HOLES AT 50yds WITH OPEN SIGHTS, GOOD TRICK HUH ?

[ 07-05-2003: Message edited by: SHARPSSHOOTER ]

Sharpshooter, if your bullets are properly sized and lubed(quality, not quantity), and are of proper design and weight, AND your gun is capable...It will do as you desire. FWIW, it will probably shoot better with quality black powder than smokeless. Hard cast is not necessarily your friend in this world. Paper patch may be. Take the plunge my friend, black is good.
wink.gif

with bullet design for ong range ( NEI mold ) seat out to let room to the PB load ( need perhaps to rethroat ) you can get impressive range with the old 45/70

good shooting

DAN TEC

Howdy Sharpshooter,
I would like to add my two bits here
smile.gif
I played with BPC rifles for eight years. Went AAA at NRA Silhouette, and a bunch of Buffalo Gun Shoots just for fun. I shot the 40-65, 45-70 and 50-90. They all demanded the same loading technique. Soft lead, soft lube, heavy bullet weight and a full case of black powder, slighty compressed. They will haul the mail way out there with good tang sights. Smokeless and jacketed will not do here. Do your research and you will have a ton of fun. Then you will wake up like I did and realize that a tuned 308, or better yet a Match prepped 300 WM is a WHOLE LOT BETTER
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

O.K. cuys here's what happened when i tried the Sharps at 400yds 5 or 6 shots to get the sights adjusted, then hit bowling pin at the same distance. Need to find a better rear sight, the graduations on the flip up aren't even close any suggestions on where to get a Creedmore or Vermeer at a reasonable price ?

Mr. Sharpshooter,
Where do you get Creedmore type sights for a reasonable proce? Nowhere! The spagetti(Italian) replica sights are getting more and more expensive, and they are total JUNK
frown.gif
.Loose as a goose on a laxative! Go to the Sharps Rifle web sight(Shiloh) and check out the sporting tang sight. I use one for years and did just fine. You loosen the eyepiece and slide it up or down for elevation then tighten. Well made and reasonable in price. No windage adjustment though. To get a rear tang target sight with precise elevation and windage adjustments, be prepared to pay,pay,pay. But for a decent sight for long range Black Powder Cartridge plinking, the Shiloh Rear Sporting Tang Sight is hard to beat. With heavy lead bullet loads(around 65 grs. ffg Black) it is good to about 800 yards, or so. And belive me, it hits very very hard at that range!!

Meathead I know they are pricey that's why I was asking if anyone knew where I could get one for a reasonable price, I mean I didn't want to mortgage the farm to get one
grin.gif

SharpsShooter

Go here: http://www.kermitool.com/ad.html

Kermit Hoke makes the best LR Tang Sight around! I have 7 of 'em and need 2 more! $450.00 shipped but also comes with the eyepiece which the other makes DO NOT!! There's NOTHING in this game....CHEAP! Buy CHEAP....and that's just what you're gonna get....CHEAP JUNK! In this respect...it isn't any different from LR Hunting Rifles built for accuracy! You gets....what you pay for! To find your needed products go to www.buffaloarms.com as they have most all you'll need! I've been the SP route, shot 45 years of NRA HP but shooting the Shilohs/C. Sharps/and the better Hi-Wall rifles ALWAYS puts a grin on my face! Better than your first orgasm!! And yes....I can go prone...set the scope up next to my shoulder, shoot a round from 1000 yds. and roll over and watch the 550 gr. slug slap the plate! Something you can't do with these LOUDENBOOMERS!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts