SG & Y Rifles

I've had Speedy build 3 rifles, as I have been pleased with his work. He is extremely detail oriented. What initially sold me on his work is the number of his rifles that are winning matches. I'll try and post a pic of my 300 jarrett he recently finished.

I am currently using krieger barrels yet wouldn't hesitate to go with a hart, shilen, or lilja. I think Speedy would second the Krieger or Hart. The only thing I regret is not going with a faster twist than the 1/12's.

I have spent a lot of time with Speedy and Stick at the shop and to say that SG&Y is detail oriented is a gross understatement! He has built many rifles for me including my competition rifle and barrels and to say that I am 100% satisfied would be an understatement. SG&Y they know what they are doing! If you ask Speedy about barrels he will tell you what he thinks but I will let him speak for himself on this subject—don't want to hurt any feelings.

I have no idea what your post means but what I was referring to was the thoughts of Speedy as they relate to barrel manufacturers. If he wants to post what they are then he can--I can tell you that in his shop you will see several Makers in the racks as "House" barrels. I personally have several different ones and they shoot lights out. In many cases when you are building a rifle it depends on the LT for a barrel that will drive part of your decision as to the maker. Is that the best way to do it---depends on what you are building but that is a different discussion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am currently using krieger barrels yet wouldn't hesitate to go with a hart, shilen, or lilja. I think Speedy would second the Krieger or Hart. The only thing I regret is not going with a faster twist than the 1/12's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh BTW---why are you regretting the twist rate for your Jarrett? Speedy and JD have told me that they have not received any complaints about the 1 in 12's for the Jarrett. If there is something that you know please tell as my best friend is having one built by Speedy and is using the same pipe you used. Maybe the 1 in 10 would be better for the 200 and overs but my friend will be in the 180 maybe 165 gr only. What are you shooting?

Apparently I did dive a little too deep into the barrel recommendations for some people's feelings.

Currently I am shooting 168 bergers out of the 1-12 twist with great results. (3400fps w/84.5gr RL25) The only regrets in not going with the 1-10 is to open the doors to the heavier vlds. Oh well, barrels are consumables. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SG&Y are great to deal with. Speedy was great to talk with on the phone always willing to help me think the project through and did as he said he would. You want go wrong with him.

James NC

I am currently shooting a .300 Win.mag. custom,which I am very satisfied.However,since talking to the guys at SG&Y,I have become intirgued with the .300 Jarrett.Would you people with experience with this round please go into detail as to it's merits as compared to the other big .30's?ie:.300 Win,.300 Whby.,.300 RUM,etc.
I know Speedy and the gang and would love to have them build me a rifle.I just need to justify why the .300 Jarrett is that much superior to the other rounds.Where can you find a reliable supplier of formed brass (so you don't have to eat up barrel life by fireforming?).
Thanks very much for any advice on the pros and cons of the .300 Jarrett.
Would anyone care to email me if it would be best?
Jimmy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.