SFP vs FFP for hunting

So can you range a animal with let's say even a 5% variance in known body size to within what margin of error at what distance? And 5% is unrealistic let's be honest, depending on what direction I drive from my house to elk hunt a mature bulls chest height varies by about 4".
Out to 500 yds give or Take Yes. This is where I am comfortable. Many can do much better
How in the world did Military Snipers ever make a shot before we all had a rangefinder LOL
Your Funny and have to always be Right, good luck with that.

Last edited:
Out to 500 yds give or Take Yes. This is where I am comfortable. Many can do much better
How in the world did Military Snipers ever make a shot before we all had a rangefinder LOL
Your Funny and have to always be Right, good luck with that.

So I just recently learned that WW snipers would have a 300 yard zero so they were on target from 100 to 500 yards and not have to hold. They were trained on object size and corresponding the size to distance. Obviously not precise as today but still very cool, and effective. Sorry my random fact for the day.

I would like to be good at ranging with reticle for times when it is difficult to get a good range call with a laser rangefinder. Pronghorns on a flat Prairie with the sun in your face can be tough. I need to memorize the formula.

Last three scopes I've purchased have been FFP, but they are not ideal in size and weight or for hunting in my area. Still waiting on a company to make a lightweight, correctly sized reticle for a FFP hunting scope, optimized for low end use for woods hunting.

Have you looked at the SWFA 1-6 or 3-9 hd. Both have great FFP's that are usable throughout the X range.

I have not. I've never given much thought to the SWFA line, although I have heard good things about them. I'll check them out.

The 1-6 is more like a 1.5 or 6. It has a circle around the MQ reticle. Being FFP, at low power you get a circle with a cross hair in the center; appears a bit like a large aperture peep sight. I usually run it around 1.5 or 2X. When cranked to 6x, it only shows the MQ, which I've found to be a great reticle to work off. The in between X aren't as useful as the circle takes up a fair amount of the view.They have capped turrets, but it's set up to dial and you get 10 mil per rev. I have one on a 375 H&H. I really like the scope. To me it optimizes the best close up and longer range attributes of the versitile 375.