SFP vs FFP for hunting

So what about wind holds?
I kinda like to shoot ground squirrels at longer ranges and often in a 5~10 MPH wind. I use a SFP scope. My app gives me the windage in inches. A ground squirrel averages about 4 inches in width. At 300 yards with a 5 MPH crosswind wind drift is 4.39 inches. So I just hold 1 squirrel into the wind. I do this cause I like to shoot at lower zoom ranges to spot hits and misses so I can correct if I need to.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. People have killed each other and animals with bows by looking down the arrow shaft. FFP or SFP with the scopes at the quality they are now will most likely end up with a dead game animal. I choose FFP and MIL bc I like the KISS method.

The Mark 5hd 5x25 56 FFP TMR ILLUM. is 1lb 2oz lighter than most the competition in that space at 30oz

SFP vs FFP
No Right or Wrong answer.

Boils down to intended use, personal preference, & scope features, operations, & utilization.

I prefer SFP for my hunting scopes. I prefer the reticle to remain constant in size & only the target/animal size to change with magnification. This provides a familiar & fast sight picture for me throughout the scopes magnification range.

I have developed a system for utilizing SFP subtension adjustments on my 4-32 NX8 with dual scaled reticle & location of the power throw lever for follow up shots that is fast & accurate on the rare occasion I need to.

In conjunction with my rangefinder, I primarily dial for distance & hold for wind, & make corrections either by dialing or holding for correction without changing power setting.

Utilize what works for each individual, the required use & become familiar with the scopes features, & operations.
Can NOT be said any better.
for ME FFP simply will not work. I actually bought and tried out two quite pricy very high quality (for me) FFP rifle scopes and attached them to a rifle using a method that had no affect on the finish of the scope tube. Sent both mornings and evenings in low and fading light aiming at targets and very large photographic target pictures of deer and elk.

Came away sure that FFP was just not for me.
There is no good or bad in FFP VS SFP just what YOU like.
Thankfully where I bought both scopes had an awesome return policy so I sufferer no loss or issues.
To all who plan on trying out FFP scopes who have NEVER used one before I STRONGLY as possible advise buying from a seller who's return policy allows you to return the scope with little to no hassles.
Better yet go to a major store like Cabela's and if they will allow it try out different FFP scope reticles at minimum power and max power to see if they will work for your application.
For MY application my hunting scopes even my long range hunting specific scopes are all less than 16x so for longer shots beyond 400 yards I will always set the scope to max power so SFP's affect on the reticle sub tension values will not be an issue.

So what about wind holds?
Same deal. If you are holding your correction (to include windage) SFP is the wrong choice. If you are dialing (again to include windage) FFP doesn't do anything for you. This isn't a which reticle type is the best scenario. It's a what's the correct reticle type for my use case scenario.

Same deal. If you are holding your correction (to include windage) SFP is the wrong choice. If you are dialing (again to include windage) FFP doesn't do anything for you. This isn't a which reticle type is the best scenario. It's a what's the correct reticle type for my use case
Same deal. If you are holding your correction (to include windage) SFP is the wrong choice. If you are dialing (again to include windage) FFP doesn't do anything for you. This isn't a which reticle type is the best scenario. It's a what's the correct reticle type for my use case scenario.
I bet you can't find many FFP users who are "ranging with the reticle". The advantage is having a measuring tape plastered in front of your face that's accurate at any power. I dial with a FFP all the time.

I bet you can't find many FFP users who are "ranging with the reticle". The advantage is having a measuring tape plastered in front of your face that's accurate at any power. I dial with a FFP all the time.

If they are not ranging why is "the advantage is having a measuring tape plastered in front of your face that's accurate at any power,"?

Recent Posts