SFP Reticle Subtensions at different powers

PaLuke

Hello, I have a question about reticle dimensions/subtensions. . If you have a SFP scope with a 2 MOA reticle that the sub-tensions are true at max power, say 24x. If you adjust the power to 12 would the subtensions become 4 MOA? Thanks for the replies.

Basically what Nightforce has done

Attachments

• SFP dual ranging 7-35x56 NF.png
    SFP dual ranging 7-35x56 NF.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 192
Maybe. I run March Scopes that at 20x are 2moa and 10x are 4moa. I usually test them and find an exact mark on the scope were my POI is. Process is as follows. At 100 yards shoot 1 shot. Then Dial 2 or 4 MOA or whatever your trying to find. Shoot a second shot. Then adjust your power until the wholes on paper match the hash marks on your reticle. In my scopes if I put the 0 of my 20 right on the dot it is exactly 2MOA. Granted you will need a rifle that will shoot well enough.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that's how it would be but I figured I'd ask. Rflamm250, I'll follow your procedure. I was just gifted a Ridgeline in 6.5x284 and I'm thinking about a 6x24 V4. I'm shooting 147 ELDM's with RE26.

Eyepiece adjustment for YOUR reticle plane focus affects SFP scope power.
With this, it's better to dial elevation & simply hold-off for wind (in inches).

Mikecr, I have pretty bad eyes so my eyepiece is screwed out pretty far even with glasses. Wearing glasses while shooting seems to blur the scope a little bit so I shoot without them. With this in mind I'm better off buying a scope with a regular plex and dialing for distance. Is this correct? I guess I could shoot and see what power make the subtensions work but I would have to be precise setting the power. I think your right, simple crosshairs and dial. Thanks for the reply.

Best aim point IMO is a simple med-fine crosshair, with no other clutter.
Get a scope in MOA increment external turrets, and shoot a box with it to determine actual click adjustment values.
This is important because relatively few scopes meet units declared per their brochure.

Make up what I call a click card for elevation adjustments (with that scope) per range, and hold-off(in inches) for a 5 or 10mph wind.
Run the numbers with expected air density conditions.
Use laser ranging in the field.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.