Setting up new 30-378 Wby Accumark

Thanks everyone for all the input so far. It has a muzzle brake on it and from what I can tell it is the factory accubrake-will have to confirm. I went to sportsman's warehouse yesterday and the two scopes I liked were the nightforce atacr and the leupold vx6 hd. I liked the reticles better on the nightforce scopes (but the selection of VX6 was limited), but liked the idea of the custom elevation turret option on the Leupold and how much lighter it was. Is that custom turret kind of a gimmick, or is it actually really useful in hunting situations? Can you get it for a nightforce?

I won't ask about you unloading your wife as it's clear you know you are a lucky man! Understand many of us are jealous of you — mostly for the rifle!

Loved this post. I am lucky, except for those days when she kicks worse than shooting a magnum offhand...and the duration is much much longer!

You can get a turret for the atcar or you can make a turret tape for much less. A custom turret is for 1 load in one atmospheric condition. If you hunt in the same altitude in the same basic weather they are great. Most people will make a drop chart for the load and weather expected. Then just dial the require elevation and hold the reticle for the wind. If you have a steady wind on a windy day dial the constant and hold the difference.
http://kentonindustries.com/category/custom-turrets
http://customturretsystems.com/
Or you can shoot your drops and make your own turret tape here
http://turretlabels.com/

So the person I boguth the ammo and brass from contacted me last night about selling his 4 eyar old nightforce ATACR 5-25 scope for what looks to be a good deal ($2000). However, there is a very small scratch on the bigger lens-it doesn't even show up in pictures, and looks like a fleck of dust in person. When looking through I couldn't tell it was even there. How concerned would you be with this scope? I am in no hurry as I want to set up the rifle correctly, but don't want to pass on a decent deal.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

So the person I boguth the ammo and brass from contacted me last night about selling his 4 eyar old nightforce ATACR 5-25 scope for what looks to be a good deal ($2000). However, there is a very small scratch on the bigger lens-it doesn't even show up in pictures, and looks like a fleck of dust in person. When looking through I couldn't tell it was even there. How concerned would you be with this scope? I am in no hurry as I want to set up the rifle correctly, but don't want to pass on a decent deal.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Good deal. Is it the enhanced model? You will know by the newer model has a 30 moa turret. I would use the moa turret then you wouldn't have to worry about changing turrets every time would change atmospheric conditions.

Corey

Yes I dig it! My favorite rifle is the one my wife bought me about 2-4 years before Marlin was bought by Remington. I would have to look at the serial number to date it right.

It is my 1895 in 45-70. It has insanely figured Walnut, decent checkering but not so much that you can not see the grain. The fit and finish is flawless as is it functioning. I love that rifle since it was the first one I got a few years after selling all my rifles, my 2x 4x4's and every thing I ever owned trying to save the house. The fact that she got it for me makes it 10X better. I had never really been that big on old slow cartridges designed around black powder. In fact I had never owned a lever action before either. Some of my favorite westerns have lever guns, rolling blocks, high walls, Trapdoors etc...In fact like many on this sight I was into the latest greatest thing and the faster the better for a long time.

When you buy yourself a rifle it is great but when someone else buys you a beautiful rifle without asking you what you want and it is perfect that is just INCREDIBLE!

I have not tried shooting further than 150m-200m with 99% of shooting being 100m and less. Before my dominate eye went south on me I would have my then 11 or 12 year old son pick out action figures and body parts and I would shoot just that. Then me and friend did clays with it hand thrown with the classic red plastic hand thrower! LOL Once my dominate eye started to get bad I had to put to scope on it!

I can tell you everything I have shot with it but I could not tell you much about the other rifles I owned. Like I said the fact that she picked it out with out me and it is a shooter with beautiful bluing and wood just makes it that much better!

To be far my wife grew up hunting and her 11th birthday present from her dad was a Remington 1100 that she used for trap, skeet and water foul. Also in addition to her college degree she is also trained as a machinist. So she knows her way around firearms, fit and finish etc....

Have fun! If you are the hopeless romantic I am that rifle will be your favorite no matter what in no time! Just knowing that someone knows you well enough to buy you a rifle with out you being their is awesome! It is like a great pair of boots or socks that you did not buy and they fit like a glove all the same!

Just sealed the deal on a swaro X5i 3.5-18X50 for the set up. Now to learn about and make decisions on the proper rings and whether to go with a rail system? I will look into what has already been presented, but other opinions and links to information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.