Setting up my first long range rifle

TNdeerhunter

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and long range shooting. I'm wanting to do my first long range build soon but I and thinking about putting a little twist on the typical long range rifle. I live in Tennessee and there isn't much opportunity to shoot past about 700 yards. I am looking at a Remington 700 sps in 270 win because of light recoil sence I will mostly be self spotting my shots , sense this rifle will be primarily used for whitetail deer. The twist I mentioned is that I want a light weight rifle because I do a lot a walking when I hunt because the property doesn't have a lot of road access. So I was wondering what you all think about my caliber choice and about if i was to go with a standard 24" or maybe 26" barrel instead of a big heavy bull barrel. Also I'm only 19 so I can't afford a $1,000 scope for this rifle so what is a good scope for shooting about 700 yards that won't break the bank?

Yes, but I haven't done a lot of it I will have to get the dies for a 270 tho .I have a 25-06 TC venture that I will be trading for this rifle that I have loaded for in the past. Another question I would like to add is what about the 700 tactical in 308. I know longer barrel means accuracy but there are guys shooting 1000 yards with those rifles and the weight is the same as a standard 24" barreled 700? Sorry to throw that in there but like I said I'm learning.

I think ether one of those rounds will work quite well for what you want to do. I really don't think you will give up any accuracy with a bit shorter barrel only a VERY small amount of velocity. My brother has the tactical 700 308 with the triangle barrel and it will shoot .75 MOA without a problem and it handles quite nice. On the scope I think the vortex are very hard to beat for the money.

I know I am asking a lot of questions but i have one more. For shooting long range I will need a heavier billet so should I get the 1-10 twist barrel or a 1-12 ? Also Remington's come with a plastic stock so would it benefit more from glass bedding the entire stock or just get a pillar bedded stock

If you buy a Remington sps best advice I can give is to immediately ditch the factory stock. Buy a bell and carlson medalist for it. On bullet weights for a .308 a 1-12 stabilizes a 168 gr amazingly well. If you wanna shoot anything over that I'd suggest a 1-10 Twist. As far as glass goes vortex viper hs scopes are a great value.

weight helps for long range. i would get a rem 700 long range if i could not afford a sendero. 25-06 or 30-06. no matter what you choose you will need a reliable range finder to dial up accurately.

Don't be in a hurry to buy a rifle. Save your money and get what you want or you will not be satisfied . I've learned this the hard way. Also buy once cry once is a good motto to follow. Put the best scope on your rifle you can afford and if you can't afford a good one wait until you can. I have several .308s and the 168 gr bullet will get you to around 800 before it starts getting unstable. I shoot 165 GK Sierra and probably will only shoot around 500. My FTR Rifle is an 11.25 twist and set up for 175 SMKs. It goes to 1000 easy. Don't think a person should try longe range shots on animals unless they practice a lot. To easy to wound. JMO...For what it is worth...

If you buy a Remington sps best advice I can give is to immediately ditch the factory stock. Buy a bell and carlson medalist for it. On bullet weights for a .308 a 1-12 stabilizes a 168 gr amazingly well. If you wanna shoot anything over that I'd suggest a 1-10 Twist. As far as glass goes vortex viper hs scopes are a great value.

i would just get the 700 long range , by the time you buy a stock you are paying more.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.