Setting up a new rifle

MSLRHunter

Hi guys, I just bought a new Rem milspec 5R in 300WinMag with a 26 barrel. It has a decent HS Precision stock, so that is ok for now. It has the adjustable xmark trigger that feels pretty good, so that is ok for now. What else should I be considering? A muzzle break? Some sort of metal coating such as cerakote or durakote? Oversize bolt knob? I already have some berger 180's and 210's, and may also give the SMK's a try as well. I am trying to decide on everything I want to get done to it right now so I can send it off and have it all done at one time.

Thanks

Coating it will have no affect on how well it shoots, so if it is in your budget, that is fine. But id you are trying to keep cost down iw ould not do it.
I would however check to see if the barrel is free floated or not.
The HS stock will have an aluminum bedding block, but I like to skim coat them with Devcon, and set the action screws at a consistant #'s.
Then do load developement and see how it shoots.
The rest is just cosmetics.

Coating it will have no affect on how well it shoots, so if it is in your budget, that is fine. But id you are trying to keep cost down iw ould not do it.
I would however check to see if the barrel is free floated or not.
The HS stock will have an aluminum bedding block, but I like to skim coat them with Devcon, and set the action screws at a consistant #'s.
Then do load developement and see how it shoots.
The rest is just cosmetics.

Thanks for the advice. I have already checked the barrel and it is free floated, and torqued the action screws. I hadn't thought about coating the bedding like you suggest. I will look into that a little further. I guess the main thing then is do I need a brake? It is a fairly heavy rifle, so the recoil shouldn't be too bad. So now I just need to decide on a scope. Thanks again for the advice.

I'd clean the barrel thoroughly, take it out of the stock, adjust or replace the trigger, put it back in the stock and torque to 65in/lbs (if it has an aluminum bedding block). Use a dependable ring/mount system to mount as good a scope as I could afford. Then I would start load development and find a load that it likes. When I get a "new" rifle I can hardly wait to get settled in behind it. I'm not about to send it off for several weeks! :) JohnnyK.

I'd clean the barrel thoroughly, take it out of the stock, adjust or replace the trigger, put it back in the stock and torque to 65in/lbs (if it has an aluminum bedding block). Use a dependable ring/mount system to mount as good a scope as I could afford. Then I would start load development and find a load that it likes. When I get a "new" rifle I can hardly wait to get settled in behind it. I'm not about to send it off for several weeks! :) JohnnyK.

Great, thanks for all the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts