Set my 1 Mile Gong

royinidaho

A little Googe Earth research indicated I may be able to get a mile setup from the same logging road where I shoot to 1200 yards.

A little leg work and the Leica 1600 proved it to be true. Ya Ra 4 me!

Storm coming through to day but go up early and the National Weather Service base image indicated there would be a break in the weather of sufficient time to get to the top of the mountain, 7000'.

The gong is 1" standard steel with a 17.5" diameter. Pretty much 1 MOA for the distance. I tend to set the goal pretty high because if I can't shoot MOA that far, I can't shoot that for.:)

The spot is nearly perfect. A 10 minute hike to the shooting spot, 6500' and a bit of a drive to within 50' of the target. But its steep 50'. I was breathing pretty hard by the time I got the 75" gong in place through snow drifts and the post set with everything hung.

Was hoping to get in a couple of shots but the weather blew in too quick. Got kind of wet.

Took some pics.

The mist can be seen in the pics. For those evaualting LRFs the Leica 1600 wouldn't range much beyond 800 yards under these conditions. During overcast daylight hours the 1600 would easily range the mile between the trees to the brush snow covered ground.

If the weather stays as it was last winter and I can scrounge up a snowmobile I'll be doing some 1 mile shooting one of these days.:)

Attachments

• The Gong.JPG
    The Gong.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 24
  • From Behind Gong.JPG
    From Behind Gong.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 1Mi Gong to Shooting Spot.JPG
    1Mi Gong to Shooting Spot.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 28
Thats awesome Roy...... That has always been a longterm goal of mine when I started this adventure we call LRH. To consistantly hit at a mile:Dgun). If ya ever need a spoter when ya head up to take some pokes at it, let me know...:D. I think its supposed to start gettin cold and snowin in that high country by the begining of the week

That is awesome Roy! That terrain looks amazing for long range hunting/shooting. You've got snow there, its been in the 60's this week here. Miserable.

Was it you that had a video shooting steel buffalo, pigs, chickens with some nice background music going on? I've looked for that video for weeks and have searched to the end of LRH.

Was it you that had a video shooting steel buffalo, pigs, chickens with some nice background music going on? I've looked for that video for weeks and have searched to the end of LRH.

Maybe this is the one you are looking for. No music though. Rapid Access Targeting System (R.A.T.S.) By Dog-Gon-Hit Review

Weather has not been conducive to yote hunting. I'm really wanting to take this gizmo into the field. When adjusted properly so that it pivots smoothly its pretty nice.

The snow is above 6000 feet. Mud and yuck below that.:rolleyes:

Roy... I'm amazed you can see that far.........:D

I'd give anything for some snow or rain here. It's drier than a popcorn fart.

Crossed the 'Old muddy' last weel in Joplin and it looked like a creek.

Things are bad, even worse than this summer but people can't see it because its winter so the foilage is off the trees.

Glad you found a spot to reach out that 375 AM! I found a spot where we can reach it out to 1900 yards if we really tried but 1840 yards is much more convienant. Going to shoot there tomorrow, wish me luck!! Ill need plenty of it. :rolleyes:gun)

Maybe this is the one you are looking for. No music though. Rapid Access Targeting System (R.A.T.S.) By Dog-Gon-Hit Review

Weather has not been conducive to yote hunting. I'm really wanting to take this gizmo into the field. When adjusted properly so that it pivots smoothly its pretty nice.

The snow is above 6000 feet. Mud and yuck below that.:rolleyes:

Interesting video. You shooting a mile off of that thing? The video Im looking for was a guy shooting at a shooting range (I believe in Idaho or utah) and walked a big gun (338 edge I think) out to 800-1000. The song in the beginning of the video is Cher's "Just like Jeses James" sung by Copper Mountain Band.

The shooter didn't edit the video to show all bullets connecting with steel. The misses were interesting to see and hear the scope clicks to correct for drop.

Maybe I'll post a thread to see if anyone else remembers seeing it. You shooting that 375AM to a mile?

Interesting video. You shooting a mile off of that thing?
You shooting that 375AM to a mile?

I only use that thing for under 300 yards and sighting in things like 223 gas guns.

For LR I use bipod (solid - no springs) and rear bags, prone.

The 270 AM and 375 AM will both get used at the mile distance. The 375 more so than the 270.

I figure it will be an education in mountain winds. There are plenty of trees and bushes to watch. Plus the arc of the bullet will be well above the top of the mountain which is only a few yards behind the gong.

I only use that thing for under 300 yards and sighting in things like 223 gas guns.

For LR I use bipod (solid - no springs) and rear bags, prone.

The 270 AM and 375 AM will both get used at the mile distance. The 375 more so than the 270.

I figure it will be an education in mountain winds. There are plenty of trees and bushes to watch. Plus the arc of the bullet will be well above the top of the mountain which is only a few yards behind the gong.

Well it looks like a hell of a fun time.......is the 375 still goin down the road to fund the LRKM...:rolleyes:
A mile is a good startin place for it..haha

Couldn't resist going up there this morning in spite of the yuky weather. Turned out the difference between 4450' and 6600' was quite pleasant.

Atmos conditions:

37 degrees
23.04 "Hg
Wind 8 - 16 mph from the south. Was shooting almost into it. Shooter called for 0.7 MOA windage
Lat = 43.103
Azimuth - I was shooting almost due south so I entered 180. Have no idea if this is correct or not?
Humidity 80%
2* up shooting angle.

The wind was very erratic throughout the canyon. I'm lucky that the shot wasn't more off windage wise than it was. That place is gonna provide a windage education.

It took about 30 min to hike to the spot and get things laid out. Snow was soft to the ground. About 4" of the stuff. More in places.

This is my first attempt from this spot at this distance and was a test of the complete system.

The system includes: The 375 AM, Shooter set up, range finder, spotter, tripod, camera attachment and camera. Oh and me and my feeble mind.:rolleyes:

First comment is that the Leica 1600 failed the test. The sun was just coming over the top directly inline with the gong. Camera exposure was pretty poor as can be seen. It wasn't until the sun moved a good bit to the right of the line of fire before the 1600 began, and only began, to give readings. From the day before I knew that the gong was 1 mile from somewhere on the flat spot I was shooting from. How may yards either way? I don't know. :rolleyes: Bit no more than 15 or 20 yards.

The next failure was the inexpensive camera tripod. After precisely setting it up then adding the camera and attachment, the weight of the camera lifted the field of view above the gong. I fiddled with this for 4 shots. Then said some words and did it right for the 5th and final shot.

Thus I only recorded 1 shot. Nearly wasted as much in ammo as I spent in gas.:rolleyes:

A comment was made regarding the terrain making it difficult to spot the shot. Very true except with a digiscope setup. The muzzle brake threw snow all over the place between the muzzle brake and where my elbows were on the shooting mat. I finally tromped all snow firmly.

There is better than a foot of snow on that side hill with the gong hangs. I was all smiles when I watched the video on the computer, camera view screen is useless (another failure), and saw the impact.

I was also again impressed with the short time of flight to that distance. I'm lovin' this rig.:)

In the video watch about 7 MOA low and 2 MOA right. There is a tall broken off lodge pole just to the left of a tall pine tree that is waving in the wind. You'll see the impact. The 350 SMK must tear some stuff up.:)

The next and to be expected failure was my feeble mind.lightbulb After watching the video it is obvious, after the fact that I didn't/neglected/forgot to reset the turret after that last 300 yard zero check. Maybe Santa or even Obama will give me a zero stop later this month.

th_MattoGong.jpg

'nother failure - Photobucket dimmed things down enough that ya have ta look very hard to see the impact. Plus I can't figure out how to load videos here directly from my 'outer. . . .

First Mile Shot video by royinidaho | Photobucket

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.