Serious long range varmint benches

RandyinVa

If anyone has well engineered bench capable of rotation and elevation changes that would sell their bench, I may be your huckleberry. 2nd choice is a picture that would let me build one or have one built. Anyone with a BR Pivot that isn't used anymore?

If I am to make another one, I need pipe flanges that are abut 15 degrees to angle the legs out of the corners . Pipe easy to find but flanges are much tougher to locate.

If I understand right ... You want a pipe flange where the legs screw in to your bench top at 15 degrees? Get some 4 inch squares of 1/4 plate, Take a threaded collar for the pipe legs and cut it at degree of angle you want and then weld it to plate... It is a real easy process if you have the tools or any back yard guy or welding shop could do this for you. Dave

After having built a few, you are time and money ahead to search out a good one and buy one. Of coarse if you have a lot of scrap from other projects you can get ahead.

I believe some company that had the plans on net was selling the flanges... But I think they only had 1 1/2 inch legs. It was a super simple project.. Lets face it even I did it..I built 3 benches using this method... I found the plans on line but made my benches bigger... I went to the plumbing store bought the collars and pipe ( I used 2 inch ) Had them cut and thread all the legs went to Pacific Steel they sheared the 1/2 plates... I did the rest at home in the drive way... for me it was super simple. I used a metal chop saw to cut the angle on the collars..then welded them...My benches are kind of heavy compared to the original plans on net... I used double layer of 3/4 plywood for my tops and bigger the what the plans called for..I wanted to have the tops Rhino Lined but couldn't get the guy to do it in town so bomb can dura sealed them...One bench has a swiveling adjustable high bench seat on it.. This part didn't turn out as well as I had planed...I would also like a model that would rotate the whole bench with seat attached... Dave

This really is not what you have asked but the other day I was going to toss a recliner that we have had forever. While loading it in my pickup I noticed the bottom had some large bearings in the swivel platform that sits on the floor. I removed that base & saved it in order to build a rotating shooting table.
Just an idea.
Thanks, Kirk

Caldwell BR Pivot is the way to go.
Very versatile to terrain, swiveling 360 deg
Has it's own padded seat.
Portable take down in minutes.

Look at the drawing below. These are from Ted Hoeger, Dead Dog Shooting Bench. If you have any questions you can contact him at; [email protected]

After you study the plans for awhile, you may want to make small changes here and there for what fits your needs. As he mentions in the drawing on page B4, he would shorten the Part #P2.

I would use the top in the last photograph. Just remember to make your hole spacing to match the mount surface and not what's on the drawing.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want any table that does not both swivel and have a knee-brace. Not that the knee-brace solves all your problems, but it helps greatly.

ZueD.jpg

These benches all have pros and cons I have a Caldwell BR and its OK spinning is do able but far from easy I even tried applying some graphite spray to make it easier to spin. I may very well spend the time and energy building a ball bearing rotating bench before my next trip. I also think I'm just going to bring my 25' flat bed trailer for the benches to sit on. We ended up driving around quite a bit the dogs where we where had seen quite a bit of hunting pressure and where very gun shy.

These benches all have pros and cons I have a Caldwell BR and its OK spinning is do able but far from easy I even tried applying some graphite spray to make it easier to spin. I may very well spend the time and energy building a ball bearing rotating bench before my next trip. I also think I'm just going to bring my 25' flat bed trailer for the benches to sit on. We ended up driving around quite a bit the dogs where we where had seen quite a bit of hunting pressure and where very gun shy.

I've been looking for a good rotating table since April 2019 after going on a sage rat hunt in Oregon. I've seen them priced from $180 up to $1,500. Right now I'm considering the Caldwell BR table. If I go this route, I'll see about adding a thrust bearing or spindle style where the base and main mast meet. I know the BR table does not look like the partial photo below, but you get the idea of how it could be made.

Also if you used a trailer spindle and a 4 lug hub, it could easily be engineered to look good on the table and would be very free on rotation. I think this would be the best approach since it should take any wobble out of the rotation base.

Should I end up with the BR table, I use the spindle and hub approach.

c76cd2ddd7d91eb6fdf2d0f3c90e3131.jpg

I think on my next bench I'm going to try using a small trailer axle hub as the hart of the benches rotation system.

You might want to check out the tactical DOA rotating benches.
I have one of the DOA benches and they are definitely a level above the Caldwell benches, especially the Caldwell Stable Table, but, they're a little more expensive and they weigh more too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.