Sending primers

Explosive class 1.4 for primers and powder. Must be Carrier specific approved through taking a class and paying a fee. The liability waiver you sign pretty well blames you for everything to include the carrier employees that drop kick your shipment the entire way to the addressee.
Met a good guy through a friend recently that had 2 mil primers to unload due to a failed partnership, it took him 2-3 weeks to get his Hazmat from UPS and it was a giant pain in the *** to send them out to us. They require very specific labeling, packing and pick up by a certified employee that is sure to have less knowledge than a 4th grader to pretend they are protecting us.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the long and short of it to the best of my knowledge. Primed brass on the other hand is a different story. Please correct me if you have documentation to show otherwise.

That is also the way I read the regs and according to UPS.
Ammo - ok
Primed brass - ok
Primers - hazmat certification required

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything

UPS said the only way to do it as an individual was to find a 3rd party hazmat certified shipper who would ship for you. Sucks

UPS said the only way to do it as an individual was to find a 3rd party hazmat certified shipper who would ship for you. Sucks
To help you out, they said same thing to me which is not true. Print the regulations off their page and go ship it. Here's link you need to print.

this works I had a local gun shop ship powder for me he charged an extra 50 bucks to do it but it was a large amount so the buyer did not mind paying it

To help you out, they said same thing to me which is not true. Print the regulations off their page and go ship it. Here's link you need to print.

I am not an authority on this and wish this was true, but....49 CFR 173.59 defines a whole list of items including cartridges, small arms, and powder and primers and many other explosive devices.
As you pointed out, UPS accepts cartridges, small arms (which are uniquely and separately defined) but that does not include powder and or primers (which are defined separately). You are taking the UPS policy which is very narrow and only includes cartridges, small arms and saying that it includes primers. It does not.
If you can find a portion of the UPS shipping policy that includes primers as defined by 49 CFR 173.59, I will gladly admit my mistake.

I am not an authority on this and wish this was true, but....49 CFR 173.59 defines a whole list of items including cartridges, small arms, and powder and primers and many other explosive devices.
As you pointed out, UPS accepts cartridges, small arms (which are uniquely and separately defined) but that does not include powder and or primers (which are defined separately). You are taking the UPS policy which is very narrow and only includes cartridges, small arms and saying that it includes primers. It does not.
If you can find a portion of the UPS shipping policy that includes primers as defined by 49 CFR 173.59, I will gladly admit my mistake.
I stand corrected and educated sir but I would think it would include primers and powder since that is what is in the cartridges. But like you said, narrow way for them to look at it. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.