Sendero Windage issue

Brambles

Hi everyone, kinda new here, have an issue with one of my rifles. Although its not set up for long distance shooting it seems you guys have more first hand technical knowledge regarding this stuff then guy on other forums.

Its a m700 Sendero SF 300 ultra mag, burris one piece base with dovetail front and windage adjustable rear, Burris rings. Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40.
The problem is it will hit dead on windage at 100 yards but at 300 yards it will drift and print groups 6 inches to the right.

Its a sub MOA rifle out to 300 yards shooting off a front hoppes rest and rear sandbag. I'm shooting Factory Remignton 180 gr nosler partitions at the moment but I just got all the components to reload for it, I don't think the problem is with the load however.

My first thougt is the windage adjustment on the rear of the base is cockeye'd causing the scope not to be perpendicular to the bore. What do you figure.

I haven't spent much time with the rifle in the last year or so, just sitting in the cabinet, too many guns too shoot I guess, but I recently got another 300 ultra mag and want to get them both to the range at the same time so I can't keep putting off this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Brambles

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.