Sendero or XCR

tayhot

Here is my dillema. I want a 300 RUM and debating on which model to choose, the Sendero or XCR.

I know there are pros and cons to each and depending on situations will be the make or break with this selection. So let give you some details.

I am 28 yrs old and in really good shape. This rifle will be used for big game hunting, elk, deer, bear, oryx, etc here in NM and AZ. There are opportunities to shoot out to 500-600 yrds. I plan on putting good optics on the rifle (4x15x42).

Which rifle model would you choose? Would I regret getting the heavier Sendero?

I have had good result and very happy with my Remington 700xcr. It is in a 270wsm. Very accurate. My longest kill so far has been a mule deer at 550yds. Has no experence with the Sendero's so I can not comment on them.

Don't know if this helps or not, but my Sendero-II weighs 10.6lbs with a Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest. I have no regrets at all so far.

I had a sendero 300 rum with a 4.5-14x42 mk4,great rifle i would highly recommend them,a little extra weight for one of remington's best shooters, i know which one i would regret not getting.cheers

I have the Sendero SS in 300 RUM, Badger base and rings with a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x50 on it. The longest shot on a deer was just over 700 yrds. Was using 200 grn partion. If the little extra weight is not a problem, I personal would go with Sendero. There are not any mountians here to climb when you hunting

I have both in 300win mag. The weight difference is not that great even in you have to carry it around I do however prefer the feel of the xcr. The grip and forend on the sendero is wider. The sendero shoots 1/4 moa at 300yds - haven't been able to find a place to shoot further yet. The xcr shoots 3/4 to 1 moa at 300yds. I love the sendero for sitting in a stand - the xcr is more of a walking around/still hunt rifle. If I could only have one it would be the xcr because of the way we hunt in Minnesota. I bought the Sendero for my Missouri bean field hunts and my Colorado elk hunts.

For me it would depend on how much walking and packing your kind of hunting involves. If you've got to cover a lot of ground, I'd buy the XCR for ease of carry. The Sendero with scope is getting heavy enough that I start to hate my rifles when I pack the heavy ones around a lot. But we have a lot of mountain terrain in Alaska. Another consideration is your terrain. If it's more mellow, then the Sendero may not be too bad to pack around. I believe the XCR should shoot good enough to kill deer to 600 yds though.

Here is my dillema. I want a 300 RUM and debating on which model to choose, the Sendero or XCR.

I know there are pros and cons to each and depending on situations will be the make or break with this selection. So let give you some details.

I am 28 yrs old and in really good shape. This rifle will be used for big game hunting, elk, deer, bear, oryx, etc here in NM and AZ. There are opportunities to shoot out to 500-600 yrds. I plan on putting good optics on the rifle (4x15x42).

Which rifle model would you choose? Would I regret getting the heavier Sendero?

The Sendero has a superior stock to the XCR and it is a more accurate rifle. It only weighes 14 oz more than the XCR. I carried mine about 50 miles this season with a 2 lb NF scope and bipod, mostly mountain terrain.

Mark

There are 3 major differences between the rifles: corrosion resistance, weight, and accuracy.

The XCR is more rustproof than any firearm that came before it. The Browning Stainless-Stalker may have invented corrosion resistant rifles but the XCR perfected it.

The next issue is weight. For some light weight is all that matters. For others a little extra weight is welcome if it comes with being more shootable. I know I wouldn't object to carrying a Sendero on a mountain elk/muley hunt while others believe they MUST have a rifle under 6 pounds if they are to walk more than a mile. In .300 RUM, the added weight of the Sendero will tame a lot of the recoil. Most hunters would need a brake on an XCR in .300 RUM.

Then there is accuracy. I've never heard of a Sendero that wasn't a shooter (even if most don't start out as a target rifle). I've seen & had an XCR that wouldn't group no matter what we did to it.

For walking through the timber the XCR will be faster & easier to carry — so long as you don't develop a flinch due to the recoil generated by a .300 RUM in that light of a rifle. The accuracy trade-off with the XCR won't matter inside of 400 yards. If you are shooting past 400 yards, the added inherent accuracy of the Sendero matters. At 600 yards or more, the accuracy differential really matters. If you luck into an XCR that is a tack driver, great, because otherwise they are terrific rifles. Just don't EXPECT an XCR to be as accurate as a Sendero.

For someone in their late 20s who's in great shape, the added weight of the Sendero is nothing compared to the benefit in reduced recoil and accuracy. Go with the Sendero.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.