Sendero or Savage LRH?

kennygss

For an out of the box shooter, what do you guys think will deliver the most? The savage LRH or the Remmy? ( Caliber will be 7mm Rem Mag or 300 win mag ) I will be reloading for it, but not allot of "snake oil" Thanks!

Either should do ok but I think savage is using better barrels these days and the modern savage is usually more accurate out of the box. This is coming from a self proclaimed savage nut (pun intended) so.........for what it's worth, Good luck.

I just bought two sendero's in the last month and I have a few savages to say the least. I would have to give the edge to the savage, BUT they should both be able to shoot .5 MOA with custom loaded ammo. Some Remington's are really good some are ok, but all the savages seem to perform really well out of the box.

I just bought two sendero's in the last month and I have a few savages to say the least. I would have to give the edge to the savage, BUT they should both be able to shoot .5 MOA with custom loaded ammo. Some Remington's are really good some are ok, but all the savages seem to perform really well out of the box.

Hey Dragman, what calibers did you buy? I have owned at one time or another about every sendero, except25-06, .270, .264,and 7 RUM. The one that was the most amazing was the "black" version. That one was in 7mag, and would .2's at 200 any day, any where. But my favorite, is/ was in 7 STW. Another mentionable was the .300 SAUM. That thing was a shooter out of the box. I even had one in .300 Weatherby mag. I only got that because I was trying to buy a Ultra Mag, and they were back ordered. It shot so accurate, that when theUltra did become avail, I didn't know if I shoul bother. ( I did anyway, you can't have too many). Enjoy, and I hope you got 2 good ones. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, ...7 STW lightbulb

My two sendero's are a 300win, and a 300RUM in a sender II the 300win is a custom one but the RUM is all factory.
I have or have had savages in these calibers in the last year:
260 LRPR
6BR LRPV
111 HUNTER 7mm
110 270
110 BA 338 lapua

I have had an issue or two with some of them but they all shot as good as you could exspect for factory.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. For me it came down to caliber selection and the Savage won with 6.5x284. The Sendero is going to cost you more "snake oil."

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. For me it came down to caliber selection and the Savage won with 6.5x284. The Sendero is going to cost you more "snake oil."

LoL, Thanks for all replys. What I meant by "snake oil" is that I will not be applying any to the project. Probably shoot the 168 Berger VLD Hunters and work a load up and leave it alone. I won't ( famous last words I reckon :) ) No new barrels, stocks triggers etc.

I will basically echo what others have said. Either would be a great choice. A Savage of the same style rifle will shoot better on average than a Remington. I have heard a lot of Sendero owners struggling to keep groups much under 1 moa. If I were buying one of the Savages with a Tupperware stock I would have to replace the stock. For the price of the LRH you starting to get up towards the price of building your own Savage with a premium aftermarket barrel and a much better stock. If I were picking between Savage and Remington in a heavier 300 win mag I would buy the 110 FCP HS. I know you did not mention it but I think it would be the better rifle.

Both are nice rifles, each with different attributes. Overall, I think the Savage would increase the chances of getting a more accurate rifle. My LRH is surprisingly accurate, has great balance, and the trigger is excellent. You will need to check to make sure that there is no barrel contact with the stock. I had to do a little sanding at the fore end where the barrel was touching. Took 5 minutes. I was going to replace the stock but ended up keeping it on. Actually, got very used to it. The Kardsten adjustable cheek rest is great, and offsets the crappy rubber feel of the stock. The aluminum v block does provide a good bedding platform. The muzzle brake will freeze up and needs to be treated with brake fluid to open and close it. I just leave it in the open setting and said the hell with it. I like the Remington barreled action, stock, safety design, and styling much better, but the trigger isn't as good out of the box, and I need to add a cheek rest to the stock to get a good cheek weld. Accuracy can be hit or miss. This trumps everything else for me. My last three Savages all proved to be very accurate, out of the box, with little load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.