Sendero or Sako

This was probably asked here few times, but I need your help.
I looking at buying 300RemUM rifle.
Still didnt decide if it is going to be Sako 75 SS or Rem700 Sendero.
Can you guys who own those rifle speak and tell me pros and cons of both of them.

Another question, can I install detachable mag to either one?

Peter

Whilst I don't own a Sendero, I do have the Sako, I have 6 Sakos and they are all very accurate, the best being the S/L Varmint in 6PPC.
The Sako comes with a detatchable magazine, the trigger can be adjusted without taking the action out of the stock but it's biggest drawback is the lack afterbarket parts for the Sako. The McMillan A series stocks won't fit it properly around the tang area and I don't know how many triggers are availiable for it. The other side to this is that you don't really need to modify a Sako much. If you go as far as trueing the action and bolt face, maybe square up the connection between the barrel and bolt I wouldn't reccomend anything else.
Sako has a proprietory mounting system, with the top of the recever machined to accept one piece base/rings and they have the Opti-Lok rings which consist of rings with a plastic sleeve that eliminates the need for lapping and I assume eliminate ring marks, though I have never taken mine out.

The Remington has a myriad of parts availiable for it and any smith will be familiar with it.

Out of the box, I would consider the Sako a far superior product.
The Remington, more versatile.

I just got a Sendero 300 WM. I'm pretty pleased with the groups that it shoots. The only modifications that I made were a Shilen trigger set to 2.5lbs, a tactical bolt knob and an Ops Inc. brake. I didn't true anything up. Here is one of my early groups...and I know there are guys who are much better shooters than I am. I also have the Rem. VS in .308. It shoots the same group. I'm super pleased with Remington's out of the box accuracy...plus they look cool.

300%20wm.jpg

Precision rifle services in the UK and Martin Menke here in Germany have built custom rifles based on the Sako 75. We have a Sako 75 as a club rifle in our garrison gun club, it is a 308 wityh a nice walnut stock and it shoots very well, Sako is a nice rifle, personaly i would choose the Sako TRGS over the 75. but basicaly all they need is a picatinny rail screwing on(and i know some one makes a picatinny for the Sako) and they are good to go. Of course you can get a shed full of bits to fit a Remington 700 and they can be made to shoot very accurately and some even are very accurate with the factory barrel still attached, i have a 308 that used to be a 22.250 VLS that i rebarreled with a factory 308 barrel that i begged in a gun shop, with a trued action it shoots 1/4 inch groups with Norma factory ammo.
Have you looked at the Tikka T3.. here you have the same quality as the Sako but at Remington price, i saw a Tikka T3 Tactical at the IWA this year and it was a nice rifle, all it needed was a McMillan A3 stock. I am not sure they are available in the caliber you require but they are worth a look anyway.
Pete

I owned a Sako L579 .220 Swift for 20 years and still can't work out why I sold it . Very accurate .
Bought a Rem 700 VSSFP in .22/250 and put 400 shots through it before I gave up and threw the factory barrel away . 1.25 inch groups with everything I threw at it . Sure it's great now with a custom tube . Would I buy another one ...not likely .
If you like ém real light ask your dealer whether you can get the single - set trigger on the Sako in the U.S. . They're available here in Australia . If a crisp 2 pounds is O.K. you should get there by adjusting the standard unit .

I have a new Sako 75 SS All weather in 338 Win.
A magnificent rifle, but in these early days I have not found a load to shoot good groups with 225gr bullets.
No use asking for help either, as our South African powders are different to yours.
An ideal mountain caliber out here. Not too fast as to damage meat, yet flat and heavy enough for big animals like gemsbuck and kudu.
Good luck with yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.