Sendero "J-Tool"?

redneckclimbing

Hi everyone-

A friend of mine has an older Remington 700 Sendero, 7mm RUM, my question is this. There is a little "knob" on the bolt shroud that has a J cut into it. The rifle came with a little tool that also fits into this slot. What the heck is this thing for?

Thanks

Hi everyone-

A friend of mine has an older Remington 700 Sendero, 7mm RUM, my question is this. There is a little "knob" on the bolt shroud that has a J cut into it. The rifle came with a little tool that also fits into this slot. What the heck is this thing for?

Thanks

It is a safety lock . It locks the firing pin and is mainly used as a child proof device.

Unlocked, it has no effect on the rifles function.

J E CUSTOM

You can change the bolt shroud and get rid of the j lock if you want. I have bought a couple of rifles with this useless feature, and have changed the shroud on all of them.

I once bought a new Sendero in 338RUM with the J-lock and unlocked it once and never looked back. I understand that the shroud can be changed but I don't understand the need.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.