Sendero eller Blaser R8

freezingduck

I am planning to buy a rifle for long range elk hunting in skandinavia and sheep hunting.
I am planning on buying a R8 in 6,5x55 for hunting small animals.
I allready have 3 Remington 700.
A Police LTR in 308
A SPS Tact. in 308 in an AICS
A 338LM soon to be in a AICS.

So my choice is either to buy a Sendero in 300wm or an extra barrel for the R8 in 300wm.
The price is about the same.

For driven hunts and shots up to 300yds I will use the 308, so this will be for 300-1000yds.

I need to push something like the new 210gr Accubond LR to get the most out of the 300wm.
I am sceptical to reload hard in the R8, since i dont feel that I have the same control as in my 700s.

The Sendero has the 1/10twist while the R8 has 1/11''.

I will probably put somethig like a NXS or S&B scope in it.

The R8 will be lighter, shorter and easier to travel with.
I feel that the Sendero will be more stabile.

I am planning to buy a rifle for long range elk hunting in skandinavia and sheep hunting.
I am planning on buying a R8 in 6,5x55 for hunting small animals.
I allready have 3 Remington 700.
A Police LTR in 308
A SPS Tact. in 308 in an AICS
A 338LM soon to be in a AICS.

So my choice is either to buy a Sendero in 300wm or an extra barrel for the R8 in 300wm.
The price is about the same.

For driven hunts and shots up to 300yds I will use the 308, so this will be for 300-1000yds.

I need to push something like the new 210gr Accubond LR to get the most out of the 300wm.
I am sceptical to reload hard in the R8, since i dont feel that I have the same control as in my 700s.

The Sendero has the 1/10twist while the R8 has 1/11''.

I will probably put somethig like a NXS or S&B scope in it.

The R8 will be lighter, shorter and easier to travel with.
I feel that the Sendero will be more stabile.

Buy yourself a Schultz & Larsen and you'll be better out also concerning the "gun warderobe" of 6 pieces. At least regarding the rules in NO or SE. Blaser R8 is a great rifle but extremely overprized IMO. I don't want to have an argument about that... :D Schultz & Larsen Victory is by far not that expensive and normally shoots lights out. As well interchangeable barrels boltheads from 222 - 458.

I have looked at it, but i didn't like it sadly, and my choices pretty much narroved it down to the 202 and the r8, but i fell in love with the r8.

Concerning the R8 I forgot about to tell you that you might order the Atzl Match trigger assembly. 250g for shooting competition and 800g for hunting. A useful extra and much better than the factory trigger. lightbulb BTW, why aren't you thinking about giving an order for the 8x68S calibre. Same flat trajectory as the 300WM but increased terminal performance and last but not least beltless! :D A good muzzle - brake is a must for both of the calibres. Do not use the so called Dualbrake from Blaser itself. It's 3 times the price (almost 400 Euros!!) of the others and surely not better. If you want to try a European mark, so take a close look at the Hdp - brake from Lutz Moeller, if not take one of the well-known American.
BTW, unfortunately we don't have any elk (wapiti) in Europe. You surely meant moose (dette betyr elg på engelsk).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts