Sendero barrel quality???

WSmitty01

I have 2 Stainless fluted Sendero barrels, one is 7mm STW & the other is 300 Win Mag. I am going to have them converted into barrels for my TC Encore and the chambers re-cut by OTT (EDM process)into the same calibers or the 300 done into 30-8mm Rem Mag. Are the quality of these barrels worth the expense ($200) of the conversion? I paid about $150 each, so I won't have that much in them as compared to the TC offerings, also do these calibers work on the Remington 700 Long Action or is there a specific longer action used for the calibers based on the 375 H&H. Just exploring all my options.

Wsmitty;

Yes those are long action calibers. About the quality of the barrels, who knows for sure. Some shoot very well and others just ok, it all depends on the individual and what they consider good. Some say it must be .5 MOA and others are content with 1.5" at 100yds. There is more to accuracy than just the bbl, the action and stock play a big role as well. There is a reason for all the take off barrels for sale, a good custom made barrel is by far better than any factory bbl. As far as converting to the Encore i have no experience or opinon on that.

Dave

buy an Enore SS HB then rechamber it to 7 mm STW . That is the cheapest way to make an Encore 7MM STW Barrel .

Will you Sale Me the Rem 700 sendero 7mm STW Barrel If you do not use it ?

Redbone

WSmitty , do your self a favor and have TC's custom shop make you a barrel , I'd be willing to bet that the factory hammer forged barrel from Remington isin't going to be a good as the Douglas barrel that the Custom shop uses. I'm not to sure what OTT charges to make a barrel this way but I'm sure it'll be over $100 and if you pay $200 for the Sendero barrel then you well above the cost of a custom shop barrel.
Hell for $400 you can have Fred at Bullberry make you one that guarnteed to shoot well.

My 300 Win Mag Sendaro went back to remington's factory because of acuuracy problem's ( it shot patterns instead of groups after the first 5 shots thru it after cleaning.) i wanted the barrel or rifle replaced. They returned it after lapping the barrel some. it is still not a smooth bore, but it did help the fouling problem and accuracy has improved. It will now shoot Berger 190 VLD sub .5" groups. 50 rounds now clean out easier than 5 did before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
SHOULD HAVE HAD A CUSTOM GUN BUILT TO START WITH.

WSmitty , have you given this anymore thought? I have a Encore 7-08 barrel here that a guy wants rechambered to 7mm Rem mag and throated for 120gr bullets.
I was thinking about how OTT would do this job , and being a welder I can't see how it would be possible to do a good job without cutting off the old chamber , welding on the lug then cutting the new chamber. If they weld the lug to the bottom of the old chamber its gonna warp out of round and if it doesen't the weld is not strong enough to risk setting off a 65,000psi bomb inches from your face !!

anyway I was just wondering if anymore thought had been given to your idea

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.