Sendero as a starting point?

younggun

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Model 700 Sendero SF II? If so what are your thoughts on it? How did it shoot out of the box and are you finding any/all aftermarket support for it?

I might be looking into getting one in 7mm rem mag so im especially interested if anyone has used that particular caliber.

How do the out of the box fluted barrel, trigger, and bedded stock perform? Basically I'm interested in any possitive or negative reviews of the rifle from my friends here at LRH and if you guys would recommend it as a solid buy for just getting into the long range game.

Thanks so much,
Sean

I started several years ago with that exact gun so I can give an opinion.

My Sendero II was a solid 1 MOA gun and for the money was a good investment and starting point in the LR game. My only regret was not starting with a Nightforce scope right off the bat.

My Dad bought one at the same time in 264WM that has also been a good performer. The 264 is another good consideration for caliber depending on your goals.

In the end, my gun became a 338 Edge this year and continues to be a good investment....I think you are on the right track.

I am with 7mm Sendaro, good place to start for a factory rifle.

I've got the short action version, and older VSSF in 22-250. Factory condition other than the addition of a jewel trigger and a NF 3.5-15 scope.

It was a little harder to find the perfect load for (in relation to my Ruger 77 Varminter in 220 Swift) but once I did, it's been an honest 1/2 minute gun (off the bags, good conditions) out to 500 yds, which is the farthest I've shot it at this point.

Thanks you guys! Since you mentioned you replaced the trigger it just got me wondering if the factory trigger is adjustable at all or should that be one of the costs that I immediately account for in planning my build?

And since we brought up scopes I've been looking around quite a bit at them and I definately have found NF to have a good reputation, but that reputation also comes with a price that is currently outside of my budget.

Im looking more in the $1000 range for scopes and in that range Im looking to get the most scope while keeping good reliability. Ive heard good things about the Vortex Viper PST though Im not sure whether to go with more magnification or more elevation adjustment (I suppose i would need the bullistic charts for a gun i dont own yet to decide).

Thats just another option Ive heard about for glass and if there are any others to be considered/compared or any experience/opinions on the ones mentioned or to be mentioned throw it out there all info is more than welcome:)

Thanks again,
Sean

The older Remington triggers could be adjusted, but I couldn't ever get one to go below 1.5 pounds. That was one trigger out of a few. Most would only go down to around 2 to 2.5 lbs. (and still be safe) Rifle Basics offers some triggers that will go less than that and don't cost as much as a jewel. I've got an older RB trigger on my 25-06 it would go light enough, but was/is somewhat inconsistent. The lighter pull you have, the more you notice inconsistence or variance. I am so used to light triggers that I notice just a couple ounces of variance.

I have never seen a Vortex in real life, but there are certainly decent scopes for under $1000 out there. Zeiss Conquest is one that I've got experience with. Mine doesn't have tactical/target turrets however; but the optics are great. Some models may have "target" type adjustments?
Alot of people seem to be buying Leupold VX 3's with the tall turrets, maybe another option.

As for the adjustment range.........depends on the cartridge and how far you plan on shooting it. If your scope is mounted center (doesn't take alot of clicks to sight it in) and you're only gonna shoot out to 800 yds, then most decent scopes have plenty of adjustment range for most calibers. Even my 22-250 w/ a "lowly" 55 grn bullet only needs 19 MOA at 800 yds w/ a 250 yd sight in (according to the balistic program) 600 yds only requires 9 MOA. Bigger bullets/better BC's can get by with a whole lot less.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Below is my last response to your previous query and it still applies ...

Dang it Younggun! WTH are you waiting for? Go get the dang gun. It does not matter which caliber and what others say, get what you need/want/can afford and be done with it ... for now, because it is not going to be your last gun ... don't kid yourself. :):rolleyes::D:cool:.

Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

The last 2 senderos I shot both averaged 5/8" 3 shot groups at 100 yards right out of the box with no work done to them and no load development. One was a 264 win mag with handloads, the other 7mm ultra mag with factory ammo. The triggers actually surprised me. While obviously not as good as timney or jewel they are totally usable. The HS Precision stock feels nice and solid.

I had exactly the same gun. 7mm sendero. Mine was a tackdriver with 168SMK's . I had a 10x super sniper scope on it and it would handle anything out to 1K yds. The SS scopes have the best turrets i have ever used and are a good clear scope. I had less than 1000$ in the whole setup.....AJ

my brother and i and friends have over 20 senderos. it is the best. i have a record book rocky mtn big horn i shot with my 7mm rem mag. i use leup on most of mine. for an inexpensive scope i use a bushnell 4200. some we have either a shilen or jewel trigger most have factory triggers. all the magnums have a vais brake. you are on the right track

Concur with all. The new Sendero triggers can be adjusted. Not the same as the old triggers but they can be adjusted to 2 pounds. Shilen and others make great replacement triggers. Have some, they work great. We have worked up loads for 300 RUMs, 7 mags and 264 Wmag. All shoot 1/2 MOA or better. Others have 7 RUMS that work great. Any offering in the new Sendero will get you to 1/2 moa or better. Reloading a must. When you burn up the barrel, get a Krieger or other to replace. Back to 1/2 MOA or better. Krieger will make them to the excact contour and fluting as original, only....welll....its a Krieger and worth it.

Thanks again every body so much for all the imput. FEENIX dont worry I definately will get out and get a gun but I'm just one of those people who spends lots of time researching before any purchase. I suppose the whole idea of an impulse buy is foriegn to me lol, but I definately agree that the most important thing is getting out there with a rifle and practicing. :D

Thank you guys so much I definately will go with the sendero. I am a big fan of the 700 action and I'm glad that there is so much praise for an out of the box rifle. What bullets would you guys recommend? I've had my eyes on the Berger 168gr and the 180gr mostly because of the bc but are there any other high bc bullets that I should know about? How have the Bergers performed for those of you who use them?

Sorry to change gears on you guys but the glass to go with it is still a toss up in my mind. Are there any particular scopes I should be looking to adorn this rifle with? What are the general price ranges I'll be looking at with these scopes? I don't neccesarily need the best but I definately want good solid quality and most importantly repeatability...and some practice messing with adjustable turrets would probably do me some good too.

Also, (and again please forgive my lack of knowledge I'm still new to building up a rifle) what breaks would you recommend if I need one at all? How much do they really improve recoil? Are there any draw backs to having one? Can I install it myself or will I need the aid of a gunsmith?

I know thats alot of questions but thank you for your imput and patience,
Sean

Last edited:
Sorry to change gears on you guys but the glass to go with it is still a toss up in my mind. Are there any particular scopes I should be looking to adorn this rifle with? What are the general price ranges I'll be looking at with these scopes? I don't neccesarily need the best but I definately want good solid quality and most importantly repeatability...and some practice messing with adjustable turrets would probably do me some good too.

Scopes are like @$&holes, everybody's got one, and everybody has a different opinion about which is the best. I've always believed that generally you will get what you pay for in optics. A scope that only cost $400 maybe only has $200 in materials......one that cost $1000 maybe has $ 600 in materials, ect.

Looking at what competition shooters are using may be the best way to research what scopes are the most reliable. How well they stand behind their warranty is another, because everybody can get a lemon now and then. Heck, I had a NF that needed to be sent back, but they fixed it 100% with no questions asked and got it back to me in decent time (considering it was over the holidays).

for under $1000, I like Leupold (reliable and good warranty service), Bushnells top of the line scopes (elite 6500 ect.) are good for the money too.....some say they are clearer optically than leupold, I am very impressed w/ the Zeiss Conquest optics for the money, but don't know anything about their warranty service. There are probably others that are in the same class.

You will find as many debates over scopes as you will calibers on this site, but ultimately it's you're decision. Go somewhere that you can look at/through alot of different ones before you make your decision. Get them in your hands and feel the adjustments (are they positive and sure) play with the focus/parallax adjustment (make sure you get one that has this!!)

for under a grand, I don't think you could go wrong w/ a Leupold VX-3. There are alot of options available and the custom shop can modify it just about any way you'd like. Plus, you'll get a first class warranty and customer service too.

Last edited:
My 7 mag is shooting about 5/8" to 3/4" groups and I haven't finished working on loads. I would like to see what a real marksman could do with it. They are heavy but they are balanced and handle and shoot good. Did I mention they are heaavvvvvvy. Would hate to have to carry it all day in rough country.
Am currently shooting 150 BT with IMR 4350 powder.

I just did the same thing. I have a want (wife says I cannot use need in the same sentence as guns) for a caliber of rifle between my .223, 6MM AI, .25-06AI on the low end and .300WM and .300 RUM on the upper end. The .300 WM Sendero is soon to be turned into a .338 Edge. but I want a rifle in the mid range to play with at long range just to see what I can do with it. I chose the Rem 700 Sendero in 7MM Rem Mag to fit the bill as it will handle the 1000 yd shots with ease with the right bullets. I'm going to try the Berger 168 grain VLD's If your handloading it and neck sizing it and just bumping the shoulder back when the cases become a bit tight then your head spacing off the shoulder rather than the rim and making full use of the case capacity and getting the most out of the cartridge. It should do very well.
So far the only changes I have done to it is to add a Leupold MK4 6.5X20 that I didn't have on a rifle at the time and was actually saving it for the Edge but it will work on this one till I get the Edge finished. I have also added a Harris Bi-pod in the S version.
I think the recoil on the Sendero in 7MM Rem Mag is easily doable but intend to put a muzzle break on it at some time as I think I can shoot a bit better with a bit less recoil. And I will probably do a trigger job on it as its a bit heavy and I like a 2 lb trigger pull. I also am going to put on a adjustable cheek piece like the Defensive Edge model to get a bit better cheek weld when shooting prone which is how I shoot most of the time. If it shoots as good as everyone says it will I should be a great gun and be a go to gun for a lot of long range shooting in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.