sendero 7mm mag

Gator26

whats everyones thoughts on a remington sendero for a long range hunting rifle chamberd in 7mm mag is this a good rifle , just looking for people opinions on this rifle good or bad thanks alot

I have one and I'll probably get flamed for this but it shoots 1/4 moa at a 100 yards all day long. I shoot 180 bergers jammed to the lands coming out hot. So far it's been my best rifle I have ever owned. I did get rid of the trigger for a jewell.

I have a Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. It would be the last rifle I would ever sell. I recently shot a .267" 200yd group with it (prone off bipods). If I shoot a 100yd group larger than .5" with this rifle, something is wrong. It is in a Brown precision stock and has a Timney trigger.

160gr Accubond's with RL-22 and Fed 9 1/2 primers (norma brass). 3015fps from a 24" barrel.

You could do a lot worse than the rifle you are talking about. Depending on your particular usage, there may be better (in my opinion) calibers. But for deer sized game, this is really all the rifle you need.

AJ

Last edited:
ill be hunting elk with it , should i get a larger caliber or will the 7 mag work. I am not worried about recoil or anything i just dont want to get a caliber that wont work as well as another caliber, the gun my once in a great while be used for white tail but mostly it will be an elk rifle but i want the caliber that will shoot the best at ranges 600 +

I've used a 7mm on Elk and it is fine. However, as I started venturing into long range on a more regular basis, I decided I would step up in caliber for any of my elk hunting that would be more than 400yds. I don't know your particular situation, how heavy of a rifle you want/need etc. So I'll just tell you what I have and what I use them for.

I have a 338 Allen Mag for any extreme range hunting I need to do. For me this is anything more than 700yds or so. (I like being over gunned) This rifle weighs 18lbs and is a beast to carry around at altitude.

I have a 13lb 338 Edge for a 'lighter' long range elk rifle. I feel comfortable out to 1000yds with it on an elk.

The third 'elk' rifle I have is the previously mentioned 7mm Rem Mag. It weighs 8lbs and is a walk around 'light' rifle. With the 160gr Accubond, I'd be very comfortable out to 600yds or so. The rifle is so light that it is difficult for me to shoot it in field situations farther than that.

If I didn't have an elk rifle at all, I'd probably go with a 300 RUM and call it good.

AJ

whats the range that a .300 RUM should be able to be effective at on elk?

With a better shooter than me, 1000yds. With a good load, you should be over 2000fps at 1000yds and have around 1800lbs energy.

I am partial to 338 caliber rounds for Elk. 338 Rum, Edge, Allen Mag etc. But for an all around pack it, carry it and shoot it a long way, the 300RUM is very tough to beat for an all around elk rifle.

AJ

With the berger 180 pushing 2950, I'm comfortable shooting elk in the 800 yard range. I have seen 3 bulls shot at over 1000 yards with a 7rm and 7wsm shooting berger 180s and 168s.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts