Send It Vol 07 - +P throating

I'm curious as to what this does to throat wear/life?

My understanding of the bore rider was that it is a shallower leade angle typically about half (which can decrease throat life). Your description seems to go a fair bit beyond that in shallower lands for a longer distance getting the bullet started at a lower pressure.

Kind of sounds like what John burns was doing years ago when he was with grey bull precision am I right or wrong a friend if mine knows John and am just repeating 3rd hand so don't know for sure kind of sounded like same idea. David

The leade angle is the same as a standard throat, we actually build a step in the throat. It would seem that this would decrease throat life but we ran the initial test barrel in 338 Edge with the +P to 1000 rounds and it was still sub 1/2 moa. We stopped because we were tired of shooting it. My position is this, if it decreases barrel / throat life at all it is minimal at most and to me certainly worth the 100-150 fps additional velocity. That being said out of all of the +P / Terminator barrels we have done only a couple of people have rebarreled them. One to change caliber, one that was toast after 1320+ rounds of 338 Edge +P and one 7 WSM + P that was done at 1800+rounds. hope this answers your question.

This was years ago when my friend was hunting in new Mexico with a man burns was furnishing rifles to people to shoot on there elk hunts I was sure he told Richard that they they had a prioritized chamber that dropped pressure and increase powder for more velocity maybe something different than I am rembering. David

Shawn, is there a barrel length "norm" that you think benefits from this +P. I know in your video you say the case/powder must have enough length to burn all the powder. I believe your example was not to expect much from 16'' barrel.

Correct me if I am wrong but you are basically doing mechanically what the new "unicorn/wonder" powders do by delaying/spreading out the area under the pressure curve. So even with the same or lower peak pressure, the total energy pushing on the bullet is more which equals more speed. Doing that with longer burn/slower power, etc. needs a longer barrel or you just throw flames. I expect the barrel length varies depending on the cartridge and powder. Great idea BTW.

Not sure if you can feel it or not but would bet the recoil is slower, more of a push than the sharp hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.