Semi guided, drop camp or diy

NYSHUNTER

Being from NYS its hard to do DIY hunt. The inability to scout has served me TAG soup on more then one occasion. I was wondering does going for a drop camp hunt , semi guided beat out getting boots on the ground a few days earlier and getting some prescouting in ..

Any thoughts ?

I've always done the diy hunts. I live in eastern Oregon and hunt both Oregon and Idaho and of coarse live close enough that I can spend the time scouting, have friends that are willing to share info about different areas to hunt. Never been on a guided hunt, but do have a very good friend that ran a guide service for years. And of coarse we've visited a lot about about hunting and his guide service. This is what he would advise, if you get a good reputable guide you will stand a good chance of getting a chance of harvesting an animal. A good guide does the scouting and knows his area so he can put his hunters in position for a chance, but he can't make the hunter a better shot and at times couldn't calm the hunter down enough so the hunter could even get a shot. Now on the other hand if you don't get a good reputable guide it's probably going to be one of the worst experiences of your life. Do your home work, ask for references. check with the references. Talk to fish and wild life, forest service, game biologists and anyone else you can think of or get in contact with about wildlife number in the area you are interested in and the guide service you are considering using. Good luck and above all be safe and have fun.

I am from Wi, and have been going west almost every year for the last 20 years on DIY hunts with great success.I don't always shoot big animals but the ones I do shoot are Trophys to me because I did it myself.
I have used a guide once on private land and shoot a real nice muley but found that is not for me. I like to hunt not be directed to an animal by someone else and all I did was the shooting. Granted that is not always the case but like the last poster said if you get a good guide is should be the case and if you get a bad one you will regret spending the money.
My thoughts are these. First a couple questions.
How good are you at hunting /scouting?[if you are good having someone else find your game for you is not going to be much fun]
How much is your time worth?[if you are pinched for time paying someone to do the scouting may be a good choice ]
How hard do you want to hunt?[ Does having someone for the most part walk you to an animal and you pull the trigger appeal to you?]
Getting out there a couple days early to scout is great. One thing i have found hunting out west is if you can't find any animals or good sign don't be afraid to move camp and look for another spot.Getting out there earlier makes that a lot easier.
Hope this helps.

I been on a fully guided hunt and your right they are no fun.. This coming season I'm hoping to get atleast 3days of scouting in prior to opening day. I'm pretty good on google earth , and with topo maps. Calling the local biologist I never thought of so between them and fish and game maybe I will have better luck in 2016.. I don't mind striking out. I believe every trip is fun Especialling leaving the concrete jungle and get into open skies is what does it for me ...

Reread your post and realized I got a little off track of your question with my response.
An unguided drop camp could be great but, really limit your hunting area.
If the guide that drops you off is really good and puts you in a great area Awesome!
If you are a couple miles in with no animals to hunt around you just spent good money to hunt a remote area with just that no animals.[ pretty sucky!!]
Most of the hunting camps I hunt out of I can drive my truck to camp. Like I said in the last post that really gives you a lot more area to hunt.
You can hunt an area if there is nothing going on jump in your truck the next day and hunt a few miles away say on a north face instead of a south face etc.

One thing to be wary of on drop camps is that some operators use the same easy to get to camps year after year. If it includes an established wall tent arrangement and fire pit, beware. Most outfitters want at least 4 hunters per drop camp, so there could be as many as 12 or more hunters, hitting the area each fall. A better idea is to do your research on the area and try to locate a packer to take you and your gear to a place you have picked and to pack your animals out early if weather is warm. Have a good way to contact packer or emergency help. Outfitters hunting an area, are usually putting their "full ride" customers in the best habitat and with horses, are covering much larger distances. This is not to say you can't have a good hunt out of a drop camp, just be aware of the odds.

Last edited:
I think hunting the same area and learning the lay of the land may be the best option. I plan on getting in a few days early doing second week rifle since its OTC and putting in for a deer tag. Hopefully I draw.

I had to agree with what was said about drop camps and how the guides will lean toward better locations for the full guided hunters ..

after carefully scouring the net I have come to realize a drop camp is really not something i wanna do .. A fully guided Hunt is an option BUT a DIY hunt is more rewarding. So the plan is put my time in early before the season and hunt the same area to I know it ...

Any thoughts ?

Hey NYS,
I have helped many out-of-state hunters. I do not charge because I am not a legal guide. I guided professionally when I lived in Utah but now reside in Idaho.
What critter are you wanting to hunt?
Thanks, Kirk

NYS,

You will cherish a trophy more that you, yourself, hunted successfully on public land, via use of maps, exploring, preparation, and hunting skills. You will know, without doubt, you are a much more skilled hunter than the guy who buys the big one from the private land hunt that culls animals and feeds them to produce bigger antlers, etc. You are HUNTING, they are PURCHASING. There is a BIG difference.

Pursue hunting with your heart and not your wallet. You're experience will be much more rewarding. Public land hunting is the only real game, the rest is for the wannabes. Tag soup is a part of the pursuit of success. Good luck and enjoy those steaks, you earned them!

I'm not picky. I will take anything I can get a tag for.. Elk, Mule deer Blk bear.. I been building points in many states went solo once out in Co wasn't prepared. Which wont ever happen again .. Kirk when is GOOD time to call

Barrelnut,

I cant agree more with you I been on guided hunts and wasn't really my cup of tea. I don't mind striking out for me its more of the experience the trill of the hunt is what get the me smiling.

Also your right about purchasing a trophy some of the prices out there are down right insane

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts