Semi custom build got away from me

I'm 32 and not in great shape, not bad shape. Average shape haha. I will always have this 300 bee. It's 1 of 2 guns I won't sell or trade.

start now. Get a 2" piece of steel pipe that's like 40" long. Put sling studs in it and walk around the block once in the morning and once at night. Then do the same thing with your backpack on. Then find a hill and do it. Then get a heavier pipe. Every step you take puts you in a better spot you were yesterday.
At 32 you can be a destroyer of worlds with a little effort. Sets you up better for 42 as well.

start now. Get a 2" piece of steel pipe that's like 40" long. Put sling studs in it and walk around the block once in the morning and once at night. Then do the same thing with your backpack on. Then find a hill and do it. Then get a heavier pipe. Every step you take puts you in a better spot you were yesterday.
At 32 you can be a destroyer of worlds with a little effort. Sets you up better for 42 as well.
I should start carrying a 20 pound pipe. That's a good idea

I have a 5-7 year old Browning hunting pack I picked up on clearance. Pretty adequate for my needs and hauls what I need to for a full day and an overnight (if needed). I paid like 40-50 bucks for it. One of the features that took me a little while to get used to was the gun stock holder. Once I fully figured out how to use it and able to deploy the rifle quickly it has been a great, great feature.

Last edited:
I showed up at elk camp last year with my newly assembled 13lb hunting rifle. I'm not a big guy and 59yo. No one said a word until we broke camp weeks later when my good buddy told me that they all "knew" I wasn't going to keep up much less last. He said they were all shocked that I didn't miss a beat in the snowy mountains, forests, and often rocky terrain of North Idaho. I use a safari sling but any of the many solutions that work for YOU can make the burden easily manageable.

It's a 300 wby-- not sure why, bit I fell in love with the cartridge! It's got a special place, kind of like the 45-70.

I know the PRC can do it all. It's just fun to shoot bigger sometimes.
With that cartridge I would shoot the rifle first. It will likely be a pleasure to shoot. I find a heavier magnum caliber with a brake much more fun at the range and much more accurate in the field.

With that cartridge I would shoot the rifle first. It will likely be a pleasure to shoot. I find a heavier magnum caliber with a brake much more fun at the range and much more accurate in the field.
I have shot an 8 pound 300 wby before, I'd get through 5-10 rounds before I could feel myself flinching. That had no brake though

First mistake is weighing any 300wby that has enough weight to tame recoil with fast heavy bullets. I've shot buddy's 300wby that weighs maybe 8 total and not pleasant at all. If it shoots well, agree maybe some fluting but I wouldn't trim barrel on a caliber that shines with longer barrels. Really good pack with rifle carrier is huge in mtns which lets you use trekking poles for added weight support. I am 70 and hunt with 12.5 300WM Sendero. You can always use it as part of you spike camp lean-to if needed😂.

Weight is a factor of irritability on the trail...that rifle flops allover on you while hiking its gonna be very bothersome...
a good sling or pack will help....but it doesn't change the weight of the rifle......i would rather feel 3# extra pounds of meat in the pack on the way down than hiking that same 3# allover the hills....not worth it....9-10# rifle will shoot fine...
300w has to burn a lot of powder...26" is,about minimum...
If you want to keep that brake on it...cut it down to 24" and put the brake on....but shave the hell off it and flute it....

I use a similar length piece of PVC pipe with a sling attached to carry when I am hunting. Lighter the weight the better. At 73 years of age I use it to pee through, when wearing heavy hunting apparel, to avoid any accidents or peeing on my boots! Great for relieving yourself in a hunting blind also!
Just don't leave it in your toilet if you are prone to sleep walking, as the noise you hear coming from your bathroom after your wife goes in to use it in the dark, is deafening to your ears!
Also had a guy who a friend brought along on an elk hunt who picked it up and used for a bugle with his red call. Later, when he saw me using it, never said another word to me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.