Semi custom build got away from me

I built myself a light weight rifle for pack hunting and bear,that weighs just under 7 pounds dressed. It is a 338 RCM and a hammer at reasonable ranges. It did need a muzzle brake for control (Second/follow up). Shots would be near impossible due to muzzle rise. So if I was hunting the dark timber it would be my go to rifle. But for wide open spaces and distance the 14 lb 338 RUM was my choice and never let me down.

Both rifles have there place as long as you don't expect one to replace the other and ask to much of the little rifle. The only advantage a light rifle has over the heavy rifle, Is weight. all other advantages go to the heavy rifle. Why take a chance and ruin a expensive hunt by trying to save a few pounds and hunting the wrong rifle for the terrain.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
When out west, we often hunt the dark timber

My wife shoots a Remington VLS which is 9 3/8# alone, with a Leupold Mark 4 (old one so no idea what it weighs). Plenty of rifles in the rack, she just likes that one. You should be OK. You might be out of breath anyway when the big one appears and the heavier rifle will serve you well.

I called the gunsmith that put the rifle together. He recommended fluting or just taking a bit of material off the whole barrel (basically re-contouring it slightly). He said we could safely save between 8-12 ounces while still maintaining great accuracy and not putting too much stress through the barrel. He charges 1/3 the price for that as a new barrel costs.

If I go this route and remove the brake I would end up saving 17 ounces (top end) and the scope weighs 20. Giving me a final weight of roughly 10.5 lbs.

Last edited:
IMO, I would consider shortening and maybe fluting the barrel. Might also be worth looking into a lighter optic. Leupold makes really good 20-32 oz optics.

I also wouldn't sweat a 11lb-12lb rifle. I carried 12.5 lbs for years before I knew mine was heaviest!

IMO, I would consider shortening and maybe fluting the barrel. Might also be worth looking into a lighter optic. Leupold makes really good 20-32 oz optics.

I also wouldn't sweat a 11lb-12lb rifle. I carried 12.5 lbs for years before I knew mine was heaviest!
I was looking at a NXS 2.5-10 (20 oz) or Vx5HD 3-15 (20 oz) for scopes. I don't really want to go shorter, but re-contouring or fluting (not both) are the options I am leaning towards.

Personally, no way would I tote (lug would be a better description for me) in the mountains. On the lope plains, well ok maybe but absolutely no reason to.

I'd say, keep it if you can and then find a used NULA with a #2 on it, scope it with a scope that goes sub 16 ounce then you have a good usable mountain rifle as well your big long range boom stick.

Just a thunk.........

I would take it out for a couple of walks and see what you think. Like stated above I carried a 12.5# rifle for a long time before the internet told me I shouldn't. I had other rifles, I just didn't know 12 pounds was too much to carry so I carried it often. The 300Bee is one of my favorites. Inside 600 yards the 6.5 PRC doesn't hold a candle to your big 30. I bet you do most of your killin with that gun 600 and in too.

Personally, no way would I tote (lug would be a better description for me) in the mountains. On the lope plains, well ok maybe but absolutely no reason to.

I'd say, keep it if you can and then find a used NULA with a #2 on it, scope it with a scope that goes sub 16 ounce then you have a good usable mountain rifle as well your big long range boom stick.

Just a thunk.........
Where is the ouch emoji! 300 Weatherby sub-8lbs

I would take it out for a couple of walks and see what you think. Like stated above I carried a 12.5# rifle for a long time before the internet told me I shouldn't. I had other rifles, I just didn't know 12 pounds was too much to carry so I carried it often. The 300Bee is one of my favorites. Inside 600 yards the 6.5 PRC doesn't hold a candle to your big 30. I bet you do most of your killin with that gun 600 and in too.
Exactly. If 3 more pounds of rifle is a problem, how are you going to get your meat down off the mountain?

Actually the best thing someone can do is trim off the weight around the waist and be in good physical shape. Most of us could shed pounds so net/net you're carrying less that way- then you really don't need to care so much on the 2-3 lbs of gun.

I bird hunt with my dogs a lot, so 10 mile days are not uncommon. I have to carry their water, first aid, my food and water and trudge up and down coulees and through waist high sloughgrass (which is a KILLER on your quads) or I'm pumping cardio hiking up the mountains looking for mountain grouse.. It's a lot easier if I'm in good physical condition.

I do have a Browning Feather Lightning for long distance walking- a two barrel set. 12ga is 7lbs, the 20ga is under 6lbs. And yes- it does make a difference. I'd rather carry those lightweights than my 12ga autoloader silver that weighs 8lbs. It's noticeable.

Actually the best thing someone can do is trim off the weight around the waist and be in good physical shape. Most of us could shed pounds so net/net you're carrying less that way- then you really don't need to care so much on the 2-3 lbs of gun.

I bird hunt with my dogs a lot, so 10 mile days are not uncommon. I have to carry their water, first aid, my food and water and trudge up and down coulees and through waist high sloughgrass (which is a KILLER on your quads) or I'm pumping cardio hiking up the mountains looking for mountain grouse.. It's a lot easier if I'm in good physical condition.

I do have a Browning Feather Lightning for long distance walking- a two barrel set. 12ga is 7lbs, the 20ga is under 6lbs. And yes- it does make a difference. I'd rather carry those lightweights than my 12ga autoloader silver that weighs 8lbs. It's noticeable.
I chase pheasants at home here a lot too and there is no better way to get into 'walking with a gun' shape. The thing with upland hunting is your gun is always in your hands. An 8 pound shotgun at port arms all day will make a 12 pound gun packed or slung a pretty easy tote.

Looking for some input. I have a Mark V stainless version chambered in 300 wby.

I put a McMillan stock on it (weatherby style), timney trigger, and a Bartlein Rem Varmint barrel (stainless, 5R rifling, 1:8 twist, 26", weighs 4.65 lbs). Sent to a reputable gunsmith (who did great work) who blue printed the action and put it all together for me.

Got the rifle back and it looks great, but the weight of the thing got away from me. It's 10 pounds 5 ounces without a scope and barrel heavy (the rep I spoke too told me the rem varm is a great contour for hunting). I could remove the 4 port beast brake and save 5 ounces (which I plan to do). The scope will be in the neighborhood of 28 ounces (1.8 ish pounds). That makes final weight with rings about 12 pounds.

I am not sure how I feel about a 12 pound rifle for hunting out west. I only hike a handful of miles a day, but it all adds up.

I don't need an ultralight (I have a 6.9 pound 6.5 PRC already), but 12lbs is a lot!!

Not sure where I can cut weight other than barrel and optic. I was thinking maybe reprofiling the barrel down a pound (don't like the look of fluting). Final weight 11 pounds? Too much?

What are your thoughts? Get in better shape and carry a 12 pounder? Reprofile? New barrel (if so, which contour? I'd like something that will do well out to 1000 yards)
I went through same thing with a Rem 700. 300 RUM .I believe the same exact barrel . Varmint conture. Stainless 5R but went with 28 in. Trued action. Bigger recoil lug. The Answer brake. Cerakoted whole thing. It has a VX6 4x24x52 on it. It went from 11 pds to 13.2 pds. Not counting ammo , sling or bipod.
I'm not really worried about lugging it around mountains . I can use other rifles . It was my go to rifle since 2004. I've been using a C.A. Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC lately. It has a VX6 HD 4x24x52 on it also. It's up to 9 lbs something with scope , Rings and mounts, a picatiny rail for bipod. No bipod , sling or ammo. Feels like feather.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_113204385.jpg
    IMG_20200604_113204385.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20200604_113146174.jpg
    IMG_20200604_113146174.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.