Semi custom build got away from me

drtony

Looking for some input. I have a Mark V stainless version chambered in 300 wby.

I put a McMillan stock on it (weatherby style), timney trigger, and a Bartlein Rem Varmint barrel (stainless, 5R rifling, 1:8 twist, 26", weighs 4.65 lbs). Sent to a reputable gunsmith (who did great work) who blue printed the action and put it all together for me.

Got the rifle back and it looks great, but the weight of the thing got away from me. It's 10 pounds 5 ounces without a scope and barrel heavy (the rep I spoke too told me the rem varm is a great contour for hunting). I could remove the 4 port beast brake and save 5 ounces (which I plan to do). The scope will be in the neighborhood of 28 ounces (1.8 ish pounds). That makes final weight with rings about 12 pounds.

I am not sure how I feel about a 12 pound rifle for hunting out west. I only hike a handful of miles a day, but it all adds up.

I don't need an ultralight (I have a 6.9 pound 6.5 PRC already), but 12lbs is a lot!!

Not sure where I can cut weight other than barrel and optic. I was thinking maybe reprofiling the barrel down a pound (don't like the look of fluting). Final weight 11 pounds? Too much?

What are your thoughts? Get in better shape and carry a 12 pounder? Reprofile? New barrel (if so, which contour? I'd like something that will do well out to 1000 yards)

I hunted in Colorado in the mountains with a 14 Pound rifle and all though it was heavy, it did not bother me and was a steady platform when out of breath from walking, or just no good good rest.

For longer walks I would suggest a frame back pack designed to carry a rifle. Weight can be vary good for long range hunting, so eliminate other weighty items that are not as important (Like a 6 pack) :)

J E CUSTOM

I hunted in Colorado in the mountains with a 14 Pound rifle and all though it was heavy, it did not bother me and was a steady platform when out of breath from walking, or just no good good rest.

For longer walks I would suggest a frame back pack designed to carry a rifle. Weight can be vary good for long range hunting, so eliminate other weighty items that are not as important (Like a 6 pack) :)

J E CUSTOM

I have a kifaru 44 mag and most of my other gear is lighter weight (usually do day hikes). 6 pack isn't going anywhere-- I could go a "lite" beer instead of PBR ;)

My personal requirement is less than 10# total, but not less than 8.5# for a magnum cartridge.
I'd rebarrel with a CF barrel and revisit the gunstock choice. Keep the brake.
What stock would you suggest?

My two "out West" long range rigs are a 12lb 300WM very similar to what you have, and a 14lb 338 Edge. I've hiked both into wilderness areas, 8-10 miles one way. And packed the game out on my back.

And I'm not getting younger, and am more fit and have more endurance than most from years of endurance sports.

I'm keeping the Edge as-is but will be re-building the 300WM to be 2-4lbs lighter once the barrel is burned.

I think you're going the right way, you don't need a brake to hunt a 300WM that heavy.

People make valid points about cutting weight elsewhere. On one hunt someone mocked my rifle but they carried a huge battery to power all their electronics and carried double the food needed for the number of days we were going to be away. And a chair.

You're kind of committed at this point, but in the future I'd look at a lighter barrel.

JMO, worth what you pay for it. I feel your concern, BTDT.
A lighter stock will make the forward heavy worse.
You *can* shave a pound by having the barrel fluted. That would get you down in the weight range of a medium sporter. https://www.longriflesinc.com/pages/services-barrel-fluting
You could try to save weight with a lighter stock too, but your best bet is keep with what you have, find out how you like it in the field, and make your changes before the next season or with the next rifle.
Also, a good frame pack will make a world of difference in shouldering the weight. If you plan on carrying that off your pack, well, betcha you a beer, you'll be tired.
Not my place to ask, really, but unless your hunting moose, why hunt with a 300 Win Mag when the PRC will do everything you need?

I think you're going the right way, you don't need a brake to hunt a 300WM that heavy.
+1

JMO, worth what you pay for it. I feel your concern, BTDT.
A lighter stock will make the forward heavy worse.
You *can* shave a pound by having the barrel fluted. That would get you down in the weight range of a medium sporter. https://www.longriflesinc.com/pages/services-barrel-fluting
You could try to save weight with a lighter stock too, but your best bet is keep with what you have, find out how you like it in the field, and make your changes before the next season or with the next rifle.
Also, a good frame pack will make a world of difference in shouldering the weight. If you plan on carrying that off your pack, well, betcha you a beer, you'll be tired.
Not my place to ask, really, but unless your hunting moose, why hunt with a 300 Win Mag when the PRC will do everything you need?

+1

It's a 300 wby-- not sure why, bit I fell in love with the cartridge! It's got a special place, kind of like the 45-70.

I know the PRC can do it all. It's just fun to shoot bigger sometimes.

.......Got the rifle back and it looks great, but the weight of the thing got away from me. It's 10 pounds 5 ounces without a scope and barrel heavy (the rep I spoke too told me the rem varm is a great contour for hunting). I could remove the 4 port beast brake and save 5 ounces (which I plan to do). The scope will be in the neighborhood of 28 ounces (1.8 ish pounds). That makes final weight with rings about 12 pounds......I don't need an ultralight (I have a 6.9 pound 6.5 PRC already), but 12lbs is a lot!!......

Ounces here and there add up. The weight almost always gets away from me.

Base rifle is already heavier than anything I like to carry. I'm done about 9lbs.

You already have a light weight package, I'd leave it as is, and find ways to enjoy it.

Shoot the barrel out, and rebarrel a lighter contour.

Jesus I live out here and I don't have 1 rifle that weighs more than 10# loaded.

My buddy came out with a friend who built his own custom .338 Lapua that required 2 straps to carry- I think it weighed over 16lbs. Yeah he ditched it after 5 days and went with is dad's old Winchester 300 WM and bagged a nice mulie. Man you guys are gluttons for punishment, lol.

I built myself a light weight rifle for pack hunting and bear,that weighs just under 7 pounds dressed. It is a 338 RCM and a hammer at reasonable ranges. It did need a muzzle brake for control (Second/follow up). Shots would be near impossible due to muzzle rise. So if I was hunting the dark timber it would be my go to rifle. But for wide open spaces and distance the 14 lb 338 RUM was my choice and never let me down.

Both rifles have there place as long as you don't expect one to replace the other and ask to much of the little rifle. The only advantage a light rifle has over the heavy rifle, Is weight. all other advantages go to the heavy rifle. Why take a chance and ruin a expensive hunt by trying to save a few pounds and hunting the wrong rifle for the terrain.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I only hunt out west.
I only own one rifle under 9#, 8lbs 14oz scoped to be exact. Most are between 9.5-11.5#. One is 15.5#.
I hiked/walked last year up to 16 miles a day. 10.5# gets heavy, 12# would not have made that much of a difference.
I would rather have a little extra rifle weight and have a rifle that is more forgiving and easier to shoot well.
The only thing I am not thrilled about is a really nose heavy rifle. Balance is nice to have. Rem Varmint with an ultralight stock will be unbalanced. I would look at a barrel swap first.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.