Semi custom build got away from me

I chase pheasants at home here a lot too and there is no better way to get into 'walking with a gun' shape. The thing with upland hunting is your gun is always in your hands. An 8 pound shotgun at port arms all day will make a 12 pound gun packed or slung a pretty easy tote.

Yup. I only carry my auto loader if I'm in griz country or late season hunting when the birds get 'spooky'. Now I need to stop posting on internet forums and get back to hiking- late September comes quick, and I still need to work off the holidays :)

Best cure for carrying a heavy rifle around the mountains is to think about being at home with your wife nagging you about your clothes piled on top of the dresser or the grass needing to be mowed or asking you if this outfit makes her look fat.

That rifle always seems to get a lot lighter after that. 😁🤣

I called the gunsmith that put the rifle together. He recommended fluting or just taking a bit of material off the whole barrel (basically re-contouring it slightly). He said we could safely save between 8-12 ounces while still maintaining great accuracy and not putting too much stress through the barrel. He charges 1/3 the price for that as a new barrel costs.

If I go this route and remove the brake I would end up saving 17 ounces (top end) and the scope weighs 20. Giving me a final weight of roughly 10.5 lbs.
I have a 1 in. full bull 27 in. MGM Encore barrel that I had fluted . It shaved 6 oz. exactly . If 6ozs. means a lot to you there is a comparison .

I called the gunsmith that put the rifle together. He recommended fluting or just taking a bit of material off the whole barrel (basically re-contouring it slightly). He said we could safely save between 8-12 ounces while still maintaining great accuracy and not putting too much stress through the barrel. He charges 1/3 the price for that as a new barrel costs.

If I go this route and remove the brake I would end up saving 17 ounces (top end) and the scope weighs 20. Giving me a final weight of roughly 10.5 lbs.
Have him turn the brake down also to match barrel ? I'd keep it 26 in. Tho.

If your gunsmith is willing to recontour the barrel a bit Id start there. Something like a #5 contour would save you a bit over the Rem Varmint. You could also flute it after the recontour for even more weight savings.

I went through same thing with a Rem 700. 300 RUM .I believe the same exact barrel . Varmint conture. Stainless 5R but went with 28 in. Trued action. Bigger recoil lug. The Answer brake. Cerakoted whole thing. It has a VX6 4x24x52 on it. It went from 11 pds to 13.2 pds. Not counting ammo , sling or bipod.
I'm not really worried about lugging it around mountains . I can use other rifles . It was my go to rifle since 2004. I've been using a C.A. Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC lately. It has a VX6 HD 4x24x52 on it also. It's up to 9 lbs something with scope , Rings and mounts, a picatiny rail for bipod. No bipod , sling or ammo. Feels like feather.
Sweet rifle!!

Best solution to lighten your rifle is to have your smith re-contour your barrel to something around a Remington magnum contour or 3b. Fluting will cut some weight but no a significant amount, and adid lightweight leupold. Keep you brake as large as you can to reduce that recoil. Taper if needed. Keep your length to burn all that powder. I use a magnum contour that tapered to .750 for the brake and wish I'd went .900 or 1" for the brake

Best solution to lighten your rifle is to have your smith re-contour your barrel to something around a Remington magnum contour or 3b. Fluting will cut some weight but no a significant amount, and adid lightweight leupold. Keep you brake as large as you can to reduce that recoil. Taper if needed. Keep your length to burn all that powder. I use a magnum contour that tapered to .750 for the brake and wish I'd went .900 or 1" for the brake
If I could start over, I would choose a 3b contour

OP, your not the first to make a bbl profile mistake . If your younger then 45 ,loose some weight off yourself. If your over 60 then pull that bbl and sell it with full disclosure , your Cartridge is Wonderful keep it , buy a # 4 contur keep it 26 inch 1/10 twist and flute it ,yes keep the Brake !!!, Cheers

OP, your not the first to make a bbl profile mistake . If your younger then 45 ,loose some weight off yourself. If your over 60 then pull that bbl and sell it with full disclosure , your Cartridge is Wonderful keep it , buy a # 4 contur keep it 26 inch 1/10 twist and flute it ,yes keep the Brake !!!, Cheers
I'm 32 and not in great shape, not bad shape. Average shape haha. I will always have this 300 bee. It's 1 of 2 guns I won't sell or trade.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts