Semi Autos legal to hunt big game in PA.

They would lose. It's works as a semi or doesn't. It's no long a gas operated rifle. By definition it can't be a semi.
Shep

They might make a direct blowback argument. Then it's up to you and your money to fight it.

It's unlikely you will ever get stopped. I haven't been checked by the PGC in over 20 years, and never while deer hunting.

I doubt I would even need a lawyer to fight it. And your right about the game commission. They are spread pretty thin. I've been checked 2 times in 30 yrs.
Shep

I've been checked about 5 times by the fish commission and not once did they even look at my license. More worried if I had life jackets and a throwable and flares. And they do check the expiration on those flares.
Shep

I didn't see this on the PGC website this year. Is this up for vote again?

Nope, spineless cowards passed the buck again after debating a ban on .22 cal centerfire for deer and getting major blow back over it so they instead moved on to ban rifles for turkey hunting in the fall based on some ******** "too many hens were getting killed" because apparently the entire 212,000 turkey population will crash if 900 hens aren't saved in the fall season.

Honestly they all suck and should be fired and replaced immediately by people who actual give a **** about hunters instead of pandering to anti gun politicians and special interest groups.

PA GAME COMMISSION are a bunch of idiots . Sunday hunting is closing more ground to be posted {new last year } NOW IF they allow semi automatic for deer more ground will be posted and be unsafe in the woods. EXAMPLE I shot a buck with 8 doe the does ran off and they were hammered { doe were not legal} THE LAST 2 YEARS SOME ONE SHOOTS 20 TO 30 SHOOTS THE FIRST DAY { doe not in}. dowould you feel safe with him having a semi automatic ????????

I don't see how Sunday hunting is making more posted ground. People that work full time benefit from the Sunday hunting. Just adding 2 Sunday during rifle can literally double their hunting time. And if they have kids it doubles their time also. Once the time change happens in bow season anyone who works to 5 pm can't hunt except on weekends. I'm all for it and I'm retired and can hunt every day if I want but I remember how little I was able to hunt when I worked full time. Almost every state allows it. If you got idiots blatantly breaking the law where you hunt turn them in. Tell the landowner and law enforcement. If you do nothing about it then don't complain about it. Be proactive when you have permission to hunt on private property. Everyone that hunts on my property respect it like it was theirs and wouldn't let anything like what your describing go on for even a minute. They all know I'm one text away. I really think all sundays should be legal to hunt. As far as semi autos go I don't care about it either. Half the guys hunt with pumps and can crank them out as fast as a semi auto anyhow. Besides you know how much gets hit when someone shoots as fast as they can pull the trigger. Not much. Just keep the 5 round max capacity and shoot what ya bring. I'd love to shoot a deer with my m14 or garand. I do hunt with a few AR15s that I built without gas tubes. Not even a gas hole in the barrels. A 50wolf and 6.5 grendel.
Shep

PA GAME COMMISSION are a bunch of idiots . Sunday hunting is closing more ground to be posted {new last year } NOW IF they allow semi automatic for deer more ground will be posted and be unsafe in the woods. EXAMPLE I shot a buck with 8 doe the does ran off and they were hammered { doe were not legal} THE LAST 2 YEARS SOME ONE SHOOTS 20 TO 30 SHOOTS THE FIRST DAY { doe not in}. dowould you feel safe with him having a semi automatic ????????
The people closing their ground to all hunting because the PGC made it legal to hunt 3 days a year are stupid. Simply tell the people you don't want them hunting your property on Sunday and if they don't accept then tell them they can't hunt at all. I wouldn't want people hunting my property that couldn't accept the rules that I set.

As to the person shooting 20 to 30 shots on the first day, how do you know they aren't already shooting with a semi auto? If they are shooting illegally at does then they could be breaking that law as well.

Also using an example of someone already committing a crime by shooting multiple illegal deer does not bolster your case as the person is already a criminal. By the same logic there have been multiple instances of people poaching deer out of season with archery equipment because it's quiet, should archery equipment be banned because of them?

I'm tired of the "the woods will be less safe with a semi auto" bull that I've been hearing about for years. Ignoring the fact that the people you fear with a semi auto are literally still out there winging bullets in an unsafe manner now I doubt the couple extra bullets they could send would make any difference at all. The fact is that statement has not been true in literally every other state but apparently PA hunters are so god awful we should have a yearly qualification test to weed out the morons among us permanently so I never have to hear that argument again.

My understanding is they are afraid we could start using those "scary" assault style rifles, so they didn't pass it for big game.

Goes right along with the study to determine if it is more more dangerous to use a rifle or a shotgun in the Special Regulations Areas..... Study found there is no justifiable reason to mandate shotgun only, just political.

I was in PA like I do several time a year to hunt chucks in NE PA farm lands. Several years ago I brought my Volkersten 17HMR to shoot within 100-150 yards and my bolt 204. I almost got arrested for using a semi auto 17HMR due to the stupid regulations in PA. I was lucky that I didn't have a loaded mag at the time that a GW checked me. I was also arrested when hunting in NY. Our hunting house was on the state line in PA. 50 feet from the house was NY. I shot an 8 point DOE (that is another post) in NY several hundred yards on the NY side. I crossed the PA side with out tagging it and was arrested literally 5 min after I drug it across the State line. In NY you do not have to tag the deer until you get to your camp. I was going to my camp, but this butt head PA GW stopped by right when I drug the deer across the road. I had the tag and went into the house for a pen. I was coming out of the house with the tag an pen in hand and got arrested. Oh yea I had the tag when I shot the deer in NY and my pen went dry and would not write so was gettin a new pen from our hunting house. The GW saw it, knew I was 50' from the state line, knew and saw I had the tag in hand and still arrested me so he could put another I guess TAG under his belt. Cost me $180.00 because I wasn't going to drive 1,400 miles round trip to go to court.
No need for those noise makers in the PA woods !!!!! Just what we need a million AR's rattling off 10 shots with a handful of doe tags.....it wl be a disaster....

I almost was going to shutup on this post. I was born in Bear Creek outside of Wilkes-Barre. Yes Wilkes-Barre the only city in the US to have a hyphen. That was 40 years ago when I left. I was in the new Cabela's outside of Allentowon after they opened up right after Obama was elected. There were two dozen hunters and shooters standing, around the hunting counter, bitchen and complaining about not having reloading powder available. I stopped everyone by saying if you voted for the liberals you do not have the right to complain about what goes on with powder, rifles, firearms. You know what! all two dozen hunters/shooters shut up. So people you get what you vote for. If people vote for something they get it period..... It is the way our government works. People VOTE for what they want.

No need for those noise makers in the PA woods !!!!! Just what we need a million AR's rattling off 10 shots with a handful of doe tags.....it wl be a disaster....
Yes we know how people vote there with Boden in office now. LETS BAN all them evil black machines of death and noise. And while we are at it let's not let them have suppressors so they can make more noise and complain about it.
MY POST IS A JOKE TO ALL THAT BELEIVE THIS BS ABOUT BANING BLACK RIFLES AND SUPRESSORS. LETS JUT BE CHINIA. WE ALEADY BUY EVERYTHING FROM THEM.

Last edited:
Your right...no need for anything more than 4 shots and BAN THE SUPPRESSORS ALSO.....and body armor and the rest of this crap...just remember that the "others" have also been buying the same crap... let's watch what happens in Texas when the loonies can also carry..I'm predicting the police are going to go insane !!