Semi Auto or Over Under?

PredatorSlayer

What are y'all using for pheasants and other upland birds? I used an 870 supermag - then bought an 870 wingmaster. Bought a versamax woodtech a few years ago and it has been boringly reliable and accurate. Thinking about adding an over under of some flavor. Just curious what everybody is using and why? I just got back from my annual pheasant hunt and that 3rd shell only came in handy a couple times.

I think your VersaMax is probably just about perfect for pheasants.

If you are looking for something new/different, I switched over to a Beretta 686 Onyx over and under (O/U) several years ago and like it very much. It's a rare moment when I 'miss' having the 3rd shot of my semi-auto and loading/unloading for vehicles, fences, etc. is so much easier with the O/U.

I also like the O/U for waterfowl better than my semi-auto as I would put two shells in the chambers for ducks, but leave the action open in the blind just in case geese showed up instead. Made it easy to pluck out the duck loads and drop in the geese loads before time to shoot.

Just some thoughts. What you have a is great. But new guns are fun, too. Another high quality, good-value over under is the Browning Citori series guns. They are very well made and will last a lifetime.

You have the best shotgun. Add an EO Tech. I love this set up. I shoot everything with the sight installed including clay birds. It adds a load of fun and will make you a better shot. The third round is a great asset when you are hog hunting. Have fun.

morning, the o/u itch has bitten u. I had 5. sold all but 2.
1 Winchester live bird 12ga. 1 custom Italian. both shoot.
the feel of a good shotgun is very rewarding. I had 2
browning cyengery's. 1 12ga. 1 20ga. when bird or trap-skeet
shooting go with the 20gra. easier on the shoulder and the
shells r the same prices of 12ga's. the cynergy's sp. have great
feel and point good. get adjustable cheek and 30" barrels
swing good and point great. justme gbot tum

If you get the major bug look at Kolar shotguns made in Wisconsin.
I think they are the best competition shotguns made! I worked a part time job for 3 years to buy mine! I'm glad I did! It's a Max Lite Sporting fixed ramp taper..Carrier barrel with sub gauge tubes..
https://www.kolararms.com/

Well, Santa just bought me a Browning Cynergy Feather :). I love my versamax, so it probably wont get kicked to the curb, but should give me something a little lighter to haul around.

You'll be tickled to death with the browning. I've been shooting a 12 and 20ga Citori for many years they're finally starting to "wear in" as Browning puts it. Buy yourself a quality set of skeet/cylinder chokes for clay shooting, as well as and Improved and Mod and you'll have everything but turkey covered. The best advice I can give you is a quality set of choke tubes, I prefer the Carlson's but several good manufactures out there watch for sales and you'll save several dollars on them. Let us know when Santa delivers we all want pics of the new toys!!!

Great choice. I have a full set of Trulock extended chokes for my Cynergy. I enjoy using it on the skeet range and in the duck blind. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.