Semi auto hunting

This is the answer to your question. 8 rounds of 30-06 is plenty.
1591476843470.jpg

I started over 40 years ago hunting with a semi auto 308 H&K 770. It served me well but unfortunately parts started to wear and it became a safe queen. Since then I've been trying to replace it. AR-15 platform gun don't have the same punch and AR-10s are beastly heavy and ill balanced unless you opt for one of the small frame guns and they are pricey. So I'm looking at the Browning BAR. On paper it looks like the answer but I know of no one who has one. I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08 Stalker MK3. Any words of wisdom before I sell my 6.5 CM AR-10 and drop $1100 on the Browning?
The Browning BAR is a fine gun. You enjoyed immensely.

I started over 40 years ago hunting with a semi auto 308 H&K 770. It served me well but unfortunately parts started to wear and it became a safe queen. Since then I've been trying to replace it. AR-15 platform gun don't have the same punch and AR-10s are beastly heavy and ill balanced unless you opt for one of the small frame guns and they are pricey. So I'm looking at the Browning BAR. On paper it looks like the answer but I know of no one who has one. I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08 Stalker MK3. Any words of wisdom before I sell my 6.5 CM AR-10 and drop $1100 on the Browning?
How about the FNAR in .308Win with either light or heavy fluted 20" barrel? It is built on the Browning BAR style action. With some shopping around, I bought three for around $1000-1150. Synthetic stock and parkerized metal for low worry, great hunting. I set one up with a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T FFP 6.5-20x50 with TS-60 Christmas tree reticle. under 1MOA.....mostly limited by my old age shooting.

1591486302821.png

1591485936915.png
1591486018112.png

The FNAR semi-automatic rifle was first introduced to the shooting public in 2008. It is a product of the US-based subsidiary of Belgian company FN Herstal, the FN Manufacturing Co. Despite the name, the FNAR is not an "AR" type rifle. Rather, the FNAR rifle is based on the proven and quite popular Browning BAR hunting rifle (which is unrelated to the original Browning BAR M1918 rifle of World War II fame). The FN FNAR is a gas-operated semi-automatic rifle. The short-stroke gas piston is located below the (internally chromed) barrel, within the stock. The barrel is locked using a rotary bolt with multiple lugs. The receiver is machined from aircraft-grade 7075 T6 aluminum alloy. The polymer stock has an adjustable buttstock (vis spacers) and pistol grip. Ammunition is fed from a detachable box magazine, with a standard capacity of 20 rounds of 7.62 mm ammunition, although 5 and 10 round magazines are available if required by local legislation. There are no iron sights installed by default; each FNAR rifle is fitted with a Picatinny rail on the top of the receiver, and three more short rails are installed at the front of the rifle stock.[2]

The FNAR uses a two-stage non-adjustable trigger specified at between 3.25 and 5.5 pounds.[2]

The standard FN FNAR has a light fluted barrel. The heavy barreled FN FNAR-H variant weighs about a pound more. Both are out-of-the-box guaranteed to be capable of Minute of Angle accuracy. A Winchester-branded version is called the Winchester SX-AR. The standard model retains the pistol grip and comes with a heavy profile 20" match grade chrome lined barrel. Rails are a reduced length top rail for optics mounting and one short bottom rail section for sling or bi-pod mounting. It is finished in a Cerakote type Mossy Oak camo pattern. The standard 10 round SX-AR detachable box magazines are interchangeable with the 20 round FNAR magazines.

Good to see some BARs posted in here. I own a 243 MK3. Here in the south, dog hunting is the most popular way folks go to the woods and the browning BARs are without a doubt most folks 1st choice as a deer rifle. I personally use a Remington 7600 pump in 270 but the couple bars I've owned have been very accurate and never jammed on me. They are a lil heavier. Can't go wrong with a BAR. For those who despise the BOSS, get the BOSS CR, still tunable and it is way easier on your ears if you don't have hearing protection.

Last edited:
How about the FNAR in .308Win with either light or heavy fluted 20" barrel? It is built on the Browning BAR style action. With some shopping around, I bought three for around $1000-1150. Synthetic stock and parkerized metal for low worry, great hunting. I set one up with a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T FFP 6.5-20x50 with TS-60 Christmas tree reticle. under 1MOA.....mostly limited by my old age shooting.

View attachment 197402

View attachment 197398 View attachment 197401

The FNAR semi-automatic rifle was first introduced to the shooting public in 2008. It is a product of the US-based subsidiary of Belgian company FN Herstal, the FN Manufacturing Co. Despite the name, the FNAR is not an "AR" type rifle. Rather, the FNAR rifle is based on the proven and quite popular Browning BAR hunting rifle (which is unrelated to the original Browning BAR M1918 rifle of World War II fame). The FN FNAR is a gas-operated semi-automatic rifle. The short-stroke gas piston is located below the (internally chromed) barrel, within the stock. The barrel is locked using a rotary bolt with multiple lugs. The receiver is machined from aircraft-grade 7075 T6 aluminum alloy. The polymer stock has an adjustable buttstock (vis spacers) and pistol grip. Ammunition is fed from a detachable box magazine, with a standard capacity of 20 rounds of 7.62 mm ammunition, although 5 and 10 round magazines are available if required by local legislation. There are no iron sights installed by default; each FNAR rifle is fitted with a Picatinny rail on the top of the receiver, and three more short rails are installed at the front of the rifle stock.[2]

The FNAR uses a two-stage non-adjustable trigger specified at between 3.25 and 5.5 pounds.[2]

The standard FN FNAR has a light fluted barrel. The heavy barreled FN FNAR-H variant weighs about a pound more. Both are out-of-the-box guaranteed to be capable of Minute of Angle accuracy. A Winchester-branded version is called the Winchester SX-AR. The standard model retains the pistol grip and comes with a heavy profile 20" match grade chrome lined barrel. Rails are a reduced length top rail for optics mounting and one short bottom rail section for sling or bi-pod mounting. It is finished in a Cerakote type Mossy Oak camo pattern. The standard 10 round SX-AR detachable box magazines are interchangeable with the 20 round FNAR magazines.
What does it weigh? The BAR is under

I've owned and shot BAR's in 270, 30-06, 300 WM and 338 WM. Wish I still had the 338. I bought my first one new in 1985 for the simple reason of milder recoil and the safety was easy to swap for left hand use. That and I just love that slab sided look and squared back receiver. Still have the 06, my brother has the 270.
Accuracy has always been good and the only problem I ever had was a broken recoil spring once (stuff happens). Never had one jam on me.
Mine were all mk1's. No experience with newer models. I think they're awesome and fun to shoot...but that brass comes out of them HOT!!!

I've got a pair of BAR's Mk 2 Belgium made. They both were my fathers (7mm Rem, 300 Win). Love both of them and they are easy on the shoulder to shoot. Only difficulty I have found was getting magazines. ( I now have 3 for each).

I owned several (308, 30-06 and 300 WM) and used them for deer hunting in the Catskills of New York. I've killed a bunch of deer with them, the 300 WM is gone as I bought it for an elk rifle and I use custom bolts out there. They always shot minute of deer and I never had an ejection issue. The 30-06 is a little heavy, the 308 carries nice, all Belgium. Hope this helps.

Just suggesting, before you rush out and buy a BAR, at least handle an R1.

Like going from a 12 gauge A5 to a 20 gauge ETHOS.

Own/owned them all.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts