Semi auto hunting

You gotta start by looking at weights, I was under $1000 but I'd have to go back and see how much it was. Look at my build- see lightweight carbonfiber - lightweight everything. PSA receives are HEAVY, I used ti carrier, ultralight handguard and CF stock, light (but cheap) upper (no fa) -- dont ever use a heavy buffer, I actually used an ultralight 1 oz buffer , always use an adjustablegas block to tune rather thanheavy buffers-- the barrel is a "big gunner" profile by faxon ( I get just under 3/4 moa from it witwith handloads) but they have pencile and heavy profiles also-- some guys go heavier profile and then flute. Aero precision scope mount, 9 oz leupy 3-9 ultralight scope, even check trigger weights (they matter too, it all adds up)

There is a guy on another forum that goes by the screen name of "breastroker" that built one just under 5 pounds but he uses alot of titanium parts (cost adds up quick) and super thin barrel and short cf stock and handguard, mine is more practical as I actually hunt with mine

CF barrel profiles are stiffer than mine but heavier, your cf barrel is about 1/2 pound more than a 20" faxon big gunner

When you start with heavy parts, you get a heavy gun
I thought about starting over but when I put my "parts list" together I was close to $1500 before I turn a wrench! It looked like I would come out around 7.5 lbs bare. By going with a BAR it looks like I only lose the disadvantage is magazine capacity and I'd probably have to have a smith work the trigger.

The bar trigger is very easy to tune pull a couple of pins and about ten minutes with a file and stone you can have a very good trigger I have a 243 and a 270 both with bosses on them haven't shot the 270 much but driving draws for coyotes the 243 is hard to beat. David

Nothing wrong with a good BAR for deer hunting. Start watching gunbroker, I bought a Mk II Safari earlier this year in 30-06 with a Leupold VX-2 3x9x40 for $700. Was made in the year 2000 I believe. Reasonably accurate and very soft shooting. Trigger isn't too bad on mine, but there are gunsmiths that can get them really nice. This rig will be used for shorter range deer hunting and for the occasional deer hunt with dogs I get invited to.
BAR.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a BAR MK2 lightweight (20" bbl and aluminum receiver) in 270 win. Bought used last year in good shape for $650 with a crappy scope. Changed it out for a Leupold 3.5-10.

Shoots everything with <1" group at 100 yds. It's a dragon slayer with a 150 gr pills and a full case of RL26, at over 3050 FPS with that short bbl.

Don't waste your money on a 740/7400.

I thought about starting over but when I put my "parts list" together I was close to $1500 before I turn a wrench! It looked like I would come out around 7.5 lbs bare. By going with a BAR it looks like I only lose the disadvantage is magazine capacity and I'd probably have to have a smith work the trigger.
You can easily spend $1500-2500 if you payretail, we searches and sales drop your prices--- BUT just websearching for weights will save you even more -- you'll find "off brand" parts that are not advertised as "lightweight" can save you tons of money and still drop weight. It takes more time web surfing than it does $ . Toolcraft ti carrier is light and much cheaper than big name brands, " sport" uppers with no fa or port cover are super light and only about $90 on sale. I found the 2 largest weight savings but most expensive parts are the barrel, stock and handguard-- some guys make ultralight cf handguards themselves with CF tubing and alum barrel nuts from ebay .

For off the shelf light weight deer hunting the bar is a quick and easy decision-- if you enjoy building and researching then the ar chassis might be for you as it's more "adaptable" and changeable in the future...just think, a change to 7-08, 6.5cm, 243, etc are only a 15 minute barrel swap project with no gs required.

Good luck, as long as you are happy in the end and enjoy the process , it's what matters.

I started over 40 years ago hunting with a semi auto 308 H&K 770. It served me well but unfortunately parts started to wear and it became a safe queen. Since then I've been trying to replace it. AR-15 platform gun don't have the same punch and AR-10s are beastly heavy and ill balanced unless you opt for one of the small frame guns and they are pricey. So I'm looking at the Browning BAR. On paper it looks like the answer but I know of no one who has one. I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08 Stalker MK3. Any words of wisdom before I sell my 6.5 CM AR-10 and drop $1100 on the Browning?
Have you also considered Remington's 740, 7400 or 750? My brother-in-law hunts with A 30-06 740 and his buddy uses a 7400 .308. Never any complaints from them over the past 20+ years. I see good used ones from time to time at gun shows or online. Ruger's Mini-30 is a .308 option, but it needs upgrades.

LaRue ultimate upper kit will keep you right in line with a BAR. How is 16" too short? How far are you trying to reach with what remaining energy?
My H&K was inconsistent on terminal ballistics. It was a 19 1/2" barrel. Years later I finally got a chronograph and a 24" 700 bolt gun. There was sometimes as much as 200 FPS difference. This is not a big problem when you're in the 2900 FPS range. I later learned that bullets under 33 caliber lost their ability to impart hydrostatic/ hydraulic shock under 2600fps. On more than a few hunts I've seen the difference between what kind of performance my H&K delivered on game compared to what I saw with guy using the same load but with a longer barrel. With a 16" barrel you're going to get near 30-30 type performance but you're not using 30-30 style bullets. It's my opinion that you commit to a caliber by its top end performance. A 16" barrel hampers what a 308 can do.

My H&K was inconsistent on terminal ballistics. It was a 19 1/2" barrel. Years later I finally got a chronograph and a 24" 700 bolt gun. There was sometimes as much as 200 FPS difference. This is not a big problem when you're in the 2900 FPS range. I later learned that bullets under 33 caliber lost their ability to impart hydrostatic/ hydraulic shock under 2600fps. On more than a few hunts I've seen the difference between what kind of performance my H&K delivered on game compared to what I saw with guy using the same load but with a longer barrel. With a 16" barrel you're going to get near 30-30 type performance but you're not using 30-30 style bullets. It's my opinion that you commit to a caliber by its top end performance. A 16" barrel hampers what a 308 can do.
I'm don't think you're correct. My 16" AR is pushing V-MAX at 2800 fps and SMKs at just north of 2500 fps at not a hot load. Will it match a bolt gun with a 24" barrel? No. Will it kill a deer out to 4-500? Absolutely.

AD471F4F-A0CC-437F-98DA-859663E3A045.jpeg

I'm don't think you're correct. My 16" AR is pushing V-MAX at 2800 fps and SMKs at just north of 2500 fps at not a hot load. Will it match a bolt gun with a 24" barrel? No. Will it kill a deer out to 4-500? Absolutely.

View attachment 197338
Oh I killed plenty of deer with my shorter barreled gun. But not with the same "authority". I'm old and DRT is better than tracking.

180 grain from a BAR

I wouldn't worry about it.

Attachments

• 4E09DB57-3656-4395-AC5B-1404CB1BD913.jpeg
    4E09DB57-3656-4395-AC5B-1404CB1BD913.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.