Semi auto hunting

The Bowning is a good rifle but "clunky" compared to the Benelli R1.

Owned BARS but once I got an R1 they went away.

Odd since both companies make shotguns but the R1 handles like an upland 20 gauge and the BAR does not.

My R1 300 WinMag is all I big game hunt with. Shoots 1moa or better and the combination of the gas system and pad gives you 308 recoil.

IMG_1899.jpg

If you want an AR chassis, you can buy/build an ultralight one if you so desire...I have a 16" lr308 that weighs under 6 pounds bare, and under 7 pounds with optics. Longer barrels will add a bit more weight, but I'm not even using the lightest weight profile on mine so I could go lighter. 20190311_071228.jpg

Last edited:
If you want an AR chassis, you can buy/build an ultralight one if you so desire...I have a 16" lr308 that weighs under 6 pounds bare, and right around 7 pounds with optics. Longer barrels will add a bit more weight, but I'm not even using the lightest weight profile on mine so I could go lighter. View attachment 197269
16" is too short for my needs. What I've seen in lightweight AR-10 builds are more than double a BAR! Unless you know something I don't!

16" is too short for my needs. What I've seen in lightweight AR-10 builds are more than double a BAR! Unless you know something I don't!
Well,with the 16" barrel I'm actually 5.88 lbs bare- the bar is 6.625lbs bare so youve got 3/4 pound difference --- if you go from a 16" to a 20" in the same barrel profile that I have you only add 5 ounces so a 20" version would still be lighter than a bar-- if your gonna go over 20" then an Ar probably isn't for you. There are lighter pencilprofile barrels available but I tend to stay away from those

Well,with the 16" barrel I'm actually 5.88 lbs bare- the bar is 6.625lbs bare so youve got 3/4 pound difference --- if you go from a 16" to a 20" in the same barrel profile that I have you only add 5 ounces so a 20" version would still be lighter than a bar-- if your gonna go over 20" then an Ar probably isn't for you. There are lighter pencilprofile barrels available but I tend to stay away from those
Can you tell me about your build? I started with a PSA-10 in 308 and re-barreled it with a 22" Christensen arms carbon fiber barrel. I had to change out the bolt, a JP adjustable gas block, and had to go with a H4 anti tilt buffer to get it to run right. The total weight was 10 .38 lbs with scope. The upper alone, with scope weighs 7.5 lbs! The BAR is around $1100. What did you build cost?

Can you tell me about your build? I started with a PSA-10 in 308 and re-barreled it with a 22" Christensen arms carbon fiber barrel. I had to change out the bolt, a JP adjustable gas block, and had to go with a H4 anti tilt buffer to get it to run right. The total weight was 10 .38 lbs with scope. The upper alone, with scope weighs 7.5 lbs! The BAR is around $1100. What did you build cost?
You gotta start by looking at weights, I was under $1000 but I'd have to go back and see how much it was. Look at my build- see lightweight carbonfiber - lightweight everything. PSA receives are HEAVY, I used ti carrier, ultralight handguard and CF stock, light (but cheap) upper (no fa) -- dont ever use a heavy buffer, I actually used an ultralight 1 oz buffer , always use an adjustablegas block to tune rather thanheavy buffers-- the barrel is a "big gunner" profile by faxon ( I get just under 3/4 moa from it witwith handloads) but they have pencile and heavy profiles also-- some guys go heavier profile and then flute. Aero precision scope mount, 9 oz leupy 3-9 ultralight scope, even check trigger weights (they matter too, it all adds up)

There is a guy on another forum that goes by the screen name of "breastroker" that built one just under 5 pounds but he uses alot of titanium parts (cost adds up quick) and super thin barrel and short cf stock and handguard, mine is more practical as I actually hunt with mine

CF barrel profiles are stiffer than mine but heavier, your cf barrel is about 1/2 pound more than a 20" faxon big gunner

When you start with heavy parts, you get a heavy gun

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.