Semi auto hunting

gvjm

I started over 40 years ago hunting with a semi auto 308 H&K 770. It served me well but unfortunately parts started to wear and it became a safe queen. Since then I've been trying to replace it. AR-15 platform gun don't have the same punch and AR-10s are beastly heavy and ill balanced unless you opt for one of the small frame guns and they are pricey. So I'm looking at the Browning BAR. On paper it looks like the answer but I know of no one who has one. I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08 Stalker MK3. Any words of wisdom before I sell my 6.5 CM AR-10 and drop $1100 on the Browning?

My family owns a lot of them

they are fantastic but have some limitations, namely that the triggers are often mediocre at best.

For what it's worth I have only mk 1 and mk2s no mk3s, they are extremely soft recoiling rifles in my experience.

My family owns a lot of them

they are fantastic but have some limitations, namely that the triggers are often mediocre at best.

For what it's worth I have only mk 1 and mk2s no mk3s, they are extremely soft recoiling rifles in my experience.
Can't a smith tune it?

I've heard of it being done for sure, but have not had it done myself.

I shoot a mk2 safari currently for a lot of deer season but I'm a wood and blue fan at heart

Attachments

• 7599699B-84D2-44EF-91C2-19368E12E18E.jpeg
    7599699B-84D2-44EF-91C2-19368E12E18E.jpeg
    481.4 KB · Views: 260
My buddy loaned me his for a weekend hunt about 30 years ago. It was in a 7MM. I can still remember how heavy and awkward feeling it seemed. On the other hand, it did shoot smooth.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.