Semi auto hunting

gvjm

I started over 40 years ago hunting with a semi auto 308 H&K 770. It served me well but unfortunately parts started to wear and it became a safe queen. Since then I've been trying to replace it. AR-15 platform gun don't have the same punch and AR-10s are beastly heavy and ill balanced unless you opt for one of the small frame guns and they are pricey. So I'm looking at the Browning BAR. On paper it looks like the answer but I know of no one who has one. I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08 Stalker MK3. Any words of wisdom before I sell my 6.5 CM AR-10 and drop $1100 on the Browning?

sea2summit

Have you considered a 6.5G?

My dad has a BAR in .338 WM when I was a kid, he liked it but sold it to fund an Africa hunt I think. I don’t think I ever shot it.

jmcmath

My family owns a lot of them

they are fantastic but have some limitations, namely that the triggers are often mediocre at best.

For what it’s worth I have only mk 1 and mk2s no mk3s, they are extremely soft recoiling rifles in my experience.

gvjm

Have you looked for an old 742 Remington?
That was my fist auto loader. I was young and making money so I traded it off for the H&K. The 742-750 is no longer made and from what I read as it gets older it has some problems.

gvjm

My family owns a lot of them

they are fantastic but have some limitations, namely that the triggers are often mediocre at best.

For what it’s worth I have only mk 1 and mk2s no mk3s, they are extremely soft recoiling rifles in my experience.
Can't a smith tune it?

Rick Richard

My buddy loaned me his for a weekend hunt about 30 years ago. It was in a 7MM. I can still remember how heavy and awkward feeling it seemed. On the other hand, it did shoot smooth.

YZ-80

I’ve heard of it being done for sure, but have not had it done myself.

I shoot a mk2 safari currently for a lot of deer season but I’m a wood and blue fan at heart
What’s that one on the bottom?

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce