Semi Auto - Bolt Ballistic Comparison

joe_holick

I was curious if any body could tell me the difference in the ballistics between a Semi Auto and a Bolt Action. The caliber I'm shooting is 7mm mag, and the rifle is a Browning BAR. The gun was given to me and I would like to keep it, but I really want to become involved with long range shooting. Is it worth messing with, or should I get a different gun? Thanks.

If you want an semi auto for long range you can't beat the Stoner type rifles!!! Some are offered in 300wsm now too!!! Otherwise get a bolt gun!!!

Am I remembering wrong but was the USA military not using accurised BAR's in 300 win mag in Bosnia a few years ago? The rifles had a unusal putrid green coloured one piece fibreglass stock. From memory there was a brief piece in the Small Arms Review if I remember right. The rifles were quite accurate from memory.
Ballistics should be very similar to a bolt gun the gas system robs minimal power.
Play with it you may find it is quite accurate once you find a load it likes. I used to have a 270 bar that shot 1 1/2" 5shot groups at 200yds using a stiff charge of IMR4831 behind a Hornady 140gn BTSP.
Have fun and keep shooting.

Are you sure that wasn't an AR10 in 300WSM?
Armalite and SSK Industries offer a whole bunch of options for their rifle! As for green furniture that is an Armalite thing! These rifles fall under the Stoner rfle category! If BARs were that good people would be competing with them!!!! I could be wrong but I think you will find that the Stoner rifle is THE most accurate gas gun there is!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.