Selling Rifle Scope to Someone in S. Africa??

rangerman

I have a gentleman who is wanting to purchase a rifle scope from me who lives in South Africa. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions and/or regulations regarding someone from the U.S. selling a scope to someone in S. Africa?
While I've sold and purchased many items on this site over the years it has been primarily in the CONUS except for a purchase or two from Alaska and nothing abroad.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Brian

I've seen advertisements stating "not for export". I just found on the Europtics site their Export policy. Bottom of the page small letters, that might help you. Good luck.

Yes careful. This a very complicated issue. You should check DoD International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) regulations and DoC Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Some scopes are covered, others are not. Some countries are restricted, others are not.

Bottom line: if you have any doubt, don't ship the scope out of the country, or knowingly aid someone to do so.

Thanks guys for your input. It looks like it could be complicated. I will check into this with our regulatory agencies and see what they say.

I believe you should check with the State Department, They regulate ITAR, the import/exporting of Firearms, Firearms parts, Firearm Accessories and ammunition. The penalties for violation of their regulations are severe.
Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.