Selling Custom Rifle Questions

Jud96

I would like to build some more custom rifles for myself but don't want to have a dozen rifles in my safe I don't shoot anymore. How do you guys go about selling your no longer used custom rifles? My real question is, do you think the ATF would hassle me for building new rifles then selling a couple old ones every year or so? Have any other forum members done this exact thing and had any issues? Thank you!

Last edited:
In another thread I mentioned an idea of building rifles for myself and then selling them a year or so later and then move on to another. My idea would be to test new cartridges, components, and new builds. I would only sell them to help fund the next build and I wouldn't be selling them for profit or business. My real question is, do you think the ATF would hassle me for building then selling one rifle a year? Have any other forum members done this exact thing and had any issues? Thank you!
When in doubt, go directly to the source. That's what "I" would do IIWY.

Currently, they can't tell you anything as long as you follow the rules. Who knows what the future holds. As far as you or anyone else should be concerned, you built the rifle and wanted to go a different direction. Nothing else, nothing more.

I've sold several customs for various reasons. Some sold fast, some took a while. Just depends on the build and components.

Currently, they can't tell you anything as long as you follow the rules. Who knows what the future holds. As far as you or anyone else should be concerned, you built the rifle and wanted to go a different direction. Nothing else, nothing more.

I've sold several customs for various reasons. Some sold fast, some took a while. Just depends on the build and components.
That's what I was thinking. I get paranoid and I just want to follow the rules and not get myself into anything stupid haha.

It's no different then buying any gun and selling it. You do a 4473/background check when you get the action, then when it's sold ship it to the buyers FFL and he does a 4473/background check.

I wouldn't do it every week, if your flipping 52 guns a year and only holding each for a week it might raise some red flags and you would want to get your FFL. 2 a year from your personal collection isn't going to be a problem. Just look at the definition of "dealer" and it's as clear cut as anything from the government. But is does not include "a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or hobby"

I assume you will be building on a commercial action with serial number. That should be no problem. Might get more interesting if you also build the action. I'm not sure how that is handled.

I assume you will be building on a commercial action with serial number. That should be no problem. Might get more interesting if you also build the action. I'm not sure how that is handled.
I'll be using Pierce actions, which I manufacture as my job haha. So I'm kind of making my own actions, but not every step of the way and not my own design haha.

I would like to build some more custom rifles for myself but don't want to have a dozen rifles in my safe I don't shoot anymore. How do you guys go about selling your no longer used custom rifles? My real question is, do you think the ATF would hassle me for building new rifles then selling a couple old ones every year or so? Have any other forum members done this exact thing and had any issues? Thank you!
I buy guns to shoot, own for life, work into my different needs. I sell the ones that, after an extended test period, just don't work out. I follow all state, local and federal laws.

With custom bolt action, I'm thinking switch barrel....basically, what action will give me the flexibility to build a rifle I want today, change out the barrel and a couple things for tomorrow's rifle. This is because you are looking a $2700-$3000 in parts plus $750ish to build. At $3000 - $4000, you can expect to take a 20-50% hit on your build in resale.

Honestly, factory rifles are usually less like a 10% hit on resale. Action alone will sell for nearly new price. Barrel will sell based on wear and if it is applicable to other actions. If you have a trued action, it is worth nearly nothing. With a prefit and low round count, you should get 60% of price paid. Stocks are based on wear and ease to transfer to another build, but often go for 75-90% of price paid unless extensively modified.

I guess I'm saying selling the barrel and stock off and then rebuilding would be my plan. Any factory actions, are kind of built for me without resale considered.

I'll be using Pierce actions, which I manufacture as my job haha. So I'm kind of making my own actions, but not every step of the way and not my own design haha.
If you are not the manufacturer of the action, not sure how there could be a problem. If you were the maker, one would assume you have a license to do so, you would be covered. If you are picking up non serialized actions from your workplace under the guise of building for yourself and now want to sell, I am pretty sure that is now un-transferrable through an FFL.
If you list a firearm on here and it sells, most likely it will be shipped and it must ship to an FFL holder for transfer. If a person in your home town or state is the buyer, and laws allow, a face to face transaction w/o a 4473 may work. Today, no matter how I sell, I want a paper trail. I probably average selling 2 guns per yr. I am not going to look up Michigan law, but you may be able to rent a table at a gun show and sell your guns w/o a transfer, if not, one would imagine that for a fee a FFL holder would do a transfer on the spot, has to be a few in the building.
As of today, selling legal firearms in most places is far from illegal.

The above poster had some good insight on resale values of custom rifles. We customize to our liking, does not mean anyone else will like it enough to give you what you are asking. Today, I part out most builds and try get as much as I can for the stock and action, if someone wants the barrel attached, it usually is free, and I will try bundle dies and components to that buyer.

Another thing, there a lot of firearms sold right here in the for sale section. If there were any issues with the sale of transferrable guns, Len would shut that option off in a heartbeat.
Guys like you and I selling what we longer have a use for.
gretchen doesn't have that much power, yet, lol

You publicly state, "I don't shoot much anymore", so you're not really building for your own use. You just enjoy building, but then wish to sell so you don't have too many. You are entering a 'gray' area in the regs/law. Much is about 'intent'. You intend to profit from making these and then selling? There is nothing in the regs that states "how many "before you need to be licensed. Just keep in mind, if some young 'hot shot' ATF Special Agent could bring charges, and make 'um stick (although you would probably be officially advised to 'cease and desist'), violations are felonies which would preclude you from ever legally owning a firearm again, and it'd probably cost you your job at Pierce. I think if you'd ask ATF this question, instead of asking the interdnet, they'd suggest you need to be licensed. With the current political climate being what it is, why try to 'push the limits'?

Last edited:
You publicly state, "I don't shoot much anymore", so you're not really building for your own use. You just enjoy building, but then wish to sell so you don't have too many. You are entering a 'gray' area in the regs/law. Much is about 'intent'. You intend to profit from making these and then selling? There is nothing in the regs that states "how many "before you need to be licensed. Just keep in mind, if some young 'hot shot' ATF Special Agent could bring charges, and make 'um stick (although you would probably be officially advised to 'cease and desist'), violations are felonies which would preclude you from ever legally owning a firearm again, and it'd probably cost you your job at Pierce. I think if you'd ask ATF this question, instead of asking the interdnet, they'd suggest you need to be licensed. With the current political climate being what it is, why try to 'push the limits'?
I didn't state I don't shoot much anymore. I was saying I don't want to have rifles in my safe that I don't shoot anymore just collecting dust. I'm simply asking if I build a rifle and then get bored with it in a couple years can I sell it. I don't plan to profit, if I can make back some of my cost of parts I'd be happy. I'm not planning on building guns just to sell. That would require a manufacturers license. I'm simply asking how do other members build/buy guns and sell them when they're bored with them or want something else. I think you're taking this the wrong way.

Maybe I did take your post wrong. A law abiding citizen can sell his personal property. But I'd not to expect to break even selling a used custom rifle. Probably not close to component value, and that depends upon barrel condition. But no labor. Most everyone has their own idea of "custom", and if what you're wanting to part with doesn't exactly fit what they're wanting, well that reduces what you'd like to get for it even more, just to move it on.