Selecting 7mm Rem Mag Ammo

CleanShot

Hello

Thanks to the help of many of you, I have a Savage 111 LHR 7mm Rem Mag on the way to my FFL. In preparation, I was planning on purchasing a few types of ammo to see what the rifle likes. I would like to elicit some feedback on what kind to buy.

My internal debate is whether to get the best ammo I can or just get the off the shelf stuff at any local sporting goods shop. On one hand, I want what will give me the best performance but, on the other hand, I don't want to be handicapped if for any reason I wind up on a trip where I can't find the premium ammo I zeroed in.

Ideally I'd like a good non lead round. After seeing the Wisconsin DNR study showing how much lead gets into the meat and it freaks me out a bit especially feeding the stuff to my kid. I'm struggling however to find a factory load with a non lead bullet.

Anyway here are my top picks at the moment (geez this stuff is not cheap).
  1. Nosler Partition 160 Grain
  2. Nosler AccuBond 160 Grain
  3. Berger VLD 168 Grain

All of this stuff seems hard to come by. I want something that will take out any large game in North America (deer, elk, moose) but will settle for something that will just get the job done for my elk trip in December.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Sam

In non-lead, I would look very closely at a Barnes TTSX load.
I see that Nosler does not make an E-tip load, but Winchester does.
Hornady also make a GMX load at 140 grains.

I would look at them in the order listed above if it were me, and see which one shoots best in the rifle. That is the one I would then use.

There is nothing wrong with the 3 you mentioned but they are all, of course, lead based.

I would look at them in the order listed above if it were me, and see which one shoots best in the rifle. That is the one I would then use.

There is nothing wrong with the 3 you mentioned but they are all, of course, lead based.

I'm struggling to find any of those in factory loads.

I found the GMX in a factory load. I was kind of keen on keeping my bullet weight towards the 160s. Maybe I'm a bit naive (I'm a gun newbie) but I was under the impression the extra weight helps significantly in putting the animals down.

Just found the Barnes in a factory load. Man that's some terrible branding. They call the bullet the TTSX but they call the factory ammo VOR-TX so you need to look for VOR-TX TTSX in 7mm Rem Mag :rolleyes:

I would go for the Barnes TTSX. They work very well on deer and hogs.

I like your thinking about wanting a specific brand that you can find on a hunting trip if you need it. In the southeast, the only brand that I can consistently find is the Remington Core Locks. Not my favorite round, so I make sure to have an ample supply of the TTSX on hand.

I used the Barnes VOR - TX T(T)SX 180gr in my 300WM successfully, on the other hand Hornady's GMX 180gr wasn't accurate at all in my rifle. Now I have switched to Lutz Moeller's MJG (bullets made of brass) and those of GS - Custom, which provide more and better performance IMO. When running lead-core bullets you should take a look at Federal's Trophy Bonded Tip (love it), Hornady's Interbond and Swift Scirocco II loaded by Remington (Premium).

Check out HSM's loaded with 168 and 180 Berger VLDs directly from HSM (Complete Product List) or I.Q. Metals Inc. - 7mm Remington Magnum

+1, the 168 Berger has shot very well in every 7mm RM I've loaded it to. I have seen them perform well on elk to the small Coues deer. Good factory ammo isn't a bargain, but several do shoot quite well and worth the price. Good luck and save your brass in case you are bitten with the reload bug.

+1, the 168 Berger has shot very well in every 7mm RM I've loaded it to. I have seen them perform well on elk to the small Coues deer. Good factory ammo isn't a bargain, but several do shoot quite well and worth the price. Good luck and save your brass in case you are bitten with the reload bug.

I think I'm going to start off with some TSX and TTSX rounds. If they work for my rifle then that meets all my criteria. However if not I'll turn to them not to the lead rounds. Thanks for all the help!

Has anyone shot the "Best of the west ammo" they are pretty pricey but they have the 7MM loaded with 168 grain Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.