Seekins rings still loose

Without doing anything else, do you have another rifle with a Picatinny rail you can try the rings on, or another set to try on that base. I would assume you could identify the issue rather quickly by doing that. If not I would take one off the ring's with you to a gun shop and try it on a Picatinny base. Most any gun shop will let you do this if they want to truly help or sell anything. Just my assumption is you have an Apple and oranges deal going on. I think your rings are quality just I would check them on another Picatinny rail and that'll tell ya where ya problem lies.

Blackhawk,
How does the width of the slot affect this?
Please check the screw that locks your rings in place.
Depending on it's width ,you may need to replace either your rail or scope rings.

If the mounting screw is too wide it will not fit into your rail. (Weaver rail slots are.207" wide
If it's too small ,no mater what you do it will not tighten up. ( Picatinny rail slots are.170" wide)
Now Weaver , at least on their Grand Slam Steel Rings have a locking screw that has a ground flat which is intentionally machined into a portion of the screw that runs between the top of the saddle and the rail itself. ( Invert these rings and you can observe this )
Additionally all Weaver rails, plain or 20 MOA. are designed to accept either Picatinny or Weaver style rings.

These Weaver bases or rings will fit either the Picatinny rails , or the Weaver style taking up the slack with a simply increasing tension on the hex head mounting screw with the correct driver.
Weaver has figured out how to take either the wider or smaller slot ring bases and with a simple twist of a hex driver securely mount to either the there plain or the 20 MOA style rail, as they have altered the angle and cut of their rail slots allowing your choice of mounts. (OBTW thy are manufactured the in USA )

There may be other company's that allow their rings to fit either picatinny, or Weaver style bases, however usually when you order your rings make certain that you order the correct style rail.
The only way to check which style that you have is to measure the slot width of your rail with an accurate set of calipers whether in digital or analog style.
Another way too accomplish this is to order your choice of either rail as well as the correct the height rings at the same time, making certain that they will fit each other.
If in doubt ask to speak to a sales rep.
Better yet do your homework on the Web before you order making certain that both your rail and rings will pair up.
As I see it you have two alternatives.

1) Exchange the rail for a Weaver Style which has the wider slot
2) Exchange the Seekin's rings to accept the narrower slots of your Picatinny Style mounted rail.
Best of Luck !

Last edited:
Please check the screw that locks your rings in place.
Depending on it's width,
If it's too wide it will not fit into your rail.
If it's too small ,no mater what you do it will not tighten up.
Now Weaver , at least on their Grand Slam Steel rings have a locking screw that has a ground flat which is intentionally machined into a portion of the screw that runs between the top of the saddle and the rail itself. . ( Invert your rings to observe this )
This style of ring will fit either the picatinny rails , or the Weaver style as I explained on my posting
Weaver has figured out how to take either the wider or smaller slot by simply tightening the bases mounting screw.
There may be other company's that allow their rings to fit either picatinny, or Weaver style bases, however usually when you order your rings make certain that you order the correct set.
The only way to check which style that you have is to measure the slot width of your rail with an accurate set of calipers whether in digital or analog style.
Hope this helps.

He's not using Weaver rings. His Seekins Precision rings are not made the way your describe. They have a permanently machined in picatinny link on the bottom ring that fits into the rail. The screws do not act as the anchoring link to the rail, they only apply tension to to outer fastening point to hold them secure to the rail. They also make the top of the line Vortex rings. I have both brands and they're excellent rings.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post to be aware of "counterfeit rings" that look identical. OP, be sure and check these rings as it's been realized by a few longrangers that Ebay and Amazon have a lot of "knockoffs/counterfeit" in the rings category.

Last edited:
Yea ive been to a few different gun shops aswell. Coincidently enough nobody has rings or bases in stock.

Cabelas does. All cheap stuff. But they wouldn't let me open a package to check if my rings or bases were out of spec.

I did however just track down weaver rings and they tightened down on the base. The guy said they were picatinny rings...not weaver style rings. They are just weaver brand 🤷‍♂️
The guy is right,weaver specs are different than picatinny specs. Weavers tactical or mil spec is picatinny spec but regular weaver is not. Call EGW and order a base and use the seeking rings. If I remember correctly weaver rings will fit a picatinny base but picatinny rings will not fit a weaver base unless it's their tactical series.

I've always been very satisfied pairing up Seekins rings with this rail:

Seekins rails are great—they have the recoil lug, which I find essential for heavier scopes.

However, the CA website sells a rail with recoil lug for a great price—$60 I believe.

Last edited:
He's not using Weaver rings. His Seekins Precision rings are not made the way your describe. They have a permanently machined in picatinny link on the bottom ring that fits into the rail. The screws do not act as the anchoring link to the rail, they only apply tension to to outer fastening point to hold them secure to the rail. They also make the top of the line Vortex rings. I have both brands and they're excellent rings.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post to be aware of "counterfeit rings" that look identical. OP, be sure and check these rings as it's been realized by a few longrangers that Ebay and Amazon have a lot of "knockoffs/counterfeit" in the rings category.

Please refer to my posting on page #7
if you put both posts together perhaps it will make more sense.
I understand he has Seekins Rings and they are machined differently and are for the picatinny style rail.
Thank You