Seekins PH2 6.5 PRC Load Development & Accuracy Testing

Wow, very in depth and well presented! Thank you for the great read :) At a glance I would say you have a great node at 56-57 grains of R26 behind the 156gr bullet. Terminal performance appears devastating. Further testing is pretty much a question of what you are after :) I feel you could spend alot of time, money, and barrel life looking for that one hole group ;) or you could do further shooting with your favorite load from this batch to really dial in all your data for distances, wind, and temperature sensitivity (which may be the one factor H-1000 would help??). Bottom line you have a great rifle and load that will accurately take game at extended ranges :)

Thank you sir, appreciate the response and input. I definitely agree that you can starting going down the rabbit hole really quick when it comes to chasing that one ragged hole (learned that lesson on my 300WM). My goal is/was to verify the guns potential as well as try to hit that 1/2" or better mark as quickly as possible, which I think I have gotten pretty darn close. As far as my plan moving forward you have hit the nail on the head. I'm going to take my 57gr 156 load and verify results with once fired brass then, as long as all goes well, start extending my ranges and collecting data for a range card.

On a side note, at some point I plan to test the H-1000. In fact I looked last week at trying to pick some up but haven't been able to locate any due to the current market. R-26 has been pretty consistent for me though, but I haven't done any real testing with varying temperature swings to really see how it acts. being in Texas though it shouldn't be that hard to verify since we've been known to have all 4 seasons in one day.

thanks again for your comments.

I couldn't find any R26, so I cooked up this load. Shoots under 1/2 all day in my PH 1.

59.0 gr RL25
140 gr Berger .01 off lands
3050 avg velocity

Glad to hear yours is a shooter as well. I ran into the same issue trying to find the R-26; got lucky when a new scheels opened up so I stocked up. Are you shooting the 140 EH or the 140 VLDs? Right now I'm running the 140 EH with the hybrid ogive at .035 off the lands. Haven't messed with seating depths yet but plan to.

You're going to experience a barrel speed-up once you get somewhere between 150-250 rounds through the barrel. I wouldn't worry too much about the velocities you are seeing now. I would suspect you will get that 156 up into the mid 2900s once that speed up hits with RL26 or H1000 and the 140 up around 3000. My 26in tube hits 3040fps with the 156 easy with no pressure using H1000. Typically this cartridge drops around 50fps per inch of barrel. This has been born out with Gunwerks tests on the PRC along with other popular hunting cartridges.

Keep tracking your velocities so you can detect the barrel speed-up because it will effect your ballistic corrections for target/hunting and your POI.

Thanks for chiming in and your input. I have been keeping an excel spread sheet updated with each range visit to track results as well as round count. So far I'm at 114 down the pipe so I have a little bit further to go. On average what's the typical FPS bump seen after the barrel settles in?

Thanks for chiming in and your input. I have been keeping an excel spread sheet updated with each range visit to track results as well as round count. So far I'm at 114 down the pipe so I have a little bit further to go. On average what's the typical FPS bump seen after the barrel settles in?
I saw 45-50 on my 26in Proof Sendero 6.5 PRC and about 50-55 on my older Hart in 7mm LRM but I think it can vary a lot based on rifling style and material hardness etc. Its something to be mindful of when working with a new barrel.

Thank you for this post. I have a PH2 6.5 PRC and I have not had time to shoot yet but have been gathering Hornady 143's Mainly for brass . Hopefully when I get out to shoot it I will get the same results.

I am trying to decide seekins 6.5 prc or straight jacket armory barreled action

I don't have any experience with Straight Jacket Armory so I can't pass judgment, but I have been very pleased so far with the performance of the Seekins. In the upcoming weeks I will start extending the ranges to to really see how it performs when it's legs are stretched. If you haven't made a purchase by then, maybe my results will help you out.

Thank you for this post. I have a PH2 6.5 PRC and I have not had time to shoot yet but have been gathering Hornady 143's Mainly for brass . Hopefully when I get out to shoot it I will get the same results.

Very welcome, Hopefully it will help you out and if you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out and ask. Also, If you chrono any of the factory 143s I'm interested in your results. The ones I shot over a lab radar came in 100 fps slower than advertised.

Great string, thanks for all of the effort both in the load development and with the write up! I am sitting an a new 6.5 PRC ph2 at the moment as well that I have not had a chance to put a round through either.....the lack of components is killing me. If you know of anyone with any extra dies for this round, let me know. It looks like I will be waiting quite some time to join in on the fun!

Great string, thanks for all of the effort both in the load development and with the write up! I am sitting an a new 6.5 PRC ph2 at the moment as well that I have not had a chance to put a round through either.....the lack of components is killing me. If you know of anyone with any extra dies for this round, let me know. It looks like I will be waiting quite some time to join in on the fun!

Thanks, and sorry for such a late reply. Work picked up on my end and I have been slammed. That's great! You will love it, I have been extremely pleased with how mine has performed. Unfortunately I don't know anybody with any extra components, at least that they are willing to part with yet. Hopefully by now though you have had some luck finding the things you need!

Be sure to let me know how it goes!

regards,

Mike

Great write up on the load development. Have you done any further testing or did you stick with what was working?
Thx Jim

Appreciate it! Unfortunately with my work schedule the past few months I haven't had time to do any more testing, things are slowing down so hopefully I will be able to pick back up on it. So far I have stuck with the 156 grainers. I have a batch loaded up so I can stretch it to see how well it groups at further distances (shot it at 954 with good results but nothing really in between) . As soon as I'm able to do this I will be sure to add an update. Also, with this Texas weather getting hotter I am interested to see how the R26 will perform since most of my other testing was between 60-90 degrees (It's peaking into the 100s now).

Since I do have more rounds down the tube I do plan on going back and trying the 140s and see if the velocity has picked up any.

regards,

Mike