Seekins Havak

Dirty45

Has anyone had the opportunity to shoot one of these yet? I wasn't able to find a comprehensive review on them anywhere online.

Also, I've never been around a Rock Creek barrel (what they supposedly use). Any feedback on that barrel would be appreciated as well.

Really interested in this gun for the price point and Seekins reputation.

Thanks!

Based on what I see on the build list, it'll be a great rifle. I've considered buying one for myself and I still may in the near future. There are different lines of Rock Creek barrels. They have their premium line and their OEM line. The difference between the two lines is the premium line is cut rifled and the OEM line is button rifled. Both are 5R. I'm quite certain the Havak blanks are from the OEM line.

I have experience with a few of the OEM line barrels in Wylde chambered AR barrels from Rainier Arms and Seekins. Both companies Rock barrels shoot fantastic, which leads me to believe that there would be minimal risk in getting a fantastic rifle with a Havak purchase.

Do a google search on Rock Creek. They've been building great shooting 5R barrels for a long time. They're up there with the best.

Seekins builds good stuff, and Rock Creek is one of the best barrels on the market. Looks like a solid rifle. My only complaint is that they don't have more cartridge options. I would like to see a .260 Rem (1:8 twist) and .280 AI (1:8 twist) option.

I'm seeing some SA models available on Cabelas. Man, that's a solid rifle for under $2000 and my mil discount doesn't make it any less tempting. I'm really working to talk myself out of a Creedmoor right now.

Update: I picked up my Havak 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday, took it home and cleaned it up, adjusted a little weight off the Timney trigger, and mounted a VX-5HD 3-15x44. After an initial one round sight in at 25 yards I proceeded to print two different 4 shot groups measuring ~.3 MOA at 100 yards with Hornady 143 ELD-X Precision Hunter factory ammunition. Next, I fired 5 shots across the Magneto Speed to collect velocity data. The average velocity of the 143s at 15*F was 2670 fps out of the 24" barrel. I fully expect it to speed up to advertised velocity after a few more rounds through the barrel and as the weather warms up.

For all you guys sitting on the fence or waiting for reviews on the Havak, consider this review "extremely positive". It is definitely worth it's price tag.

Last edited:
I've got a 6.5 PRC backordered, Glen Seekins posted that the rifles are finished, just waiting on mag bodies. It really is a lot of rifle for the money. If you bought their action, bottom metal, the same McM stock, a fluted, chambered, threaded, button rifled barrel, Timney trigger, no way you could duplicate the deal for the same money. I can't wait to shoot this thing. And yes, I jumped on the PRC wagon to be able to launch the Berger 155's, if they ever come out, at anything and everything up to an Elk.

Update: I picked up my Havak 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday, took it home and cleaned it up, adjusted a little weight off the Timney trigger, and mounted a VX-5HD 3-15x44. After an initial one round sight in at 25 yards I proceeded to print two different 4 shot groups measuring ~.3 MOA at 100 yards with Hornady 143 ELD-X Precision Hunter factory ammunition. Next, I fired 5 shots across the Magneto Speed to collect velocity data. The average velocity of the 143s at 15*F was 2670 fps out of the 24" barrel. I fully expect it to speed up to advertised velocity after a few more rounds through the barrel and as the weather warms up.

For all you guys sitting on the fence or waiting for reviews on the Havak, consider this review "extremely positive". It is definitely worth it's price tag.

brentc, did you do any kind of barrel break-in before shooting your Havak? Reason I ask is I just picked up one from Cabela's last Tuesday. Plan on shooting it next weekend and didn't see anywhere in the Seekins manual where they recommend any type of barrel break-in. Thanks!

I've got a 6.5 PRC backordered, Glen Seekins posted that the rifles are finished, just waiting on mag bodies. It really is a lot of rifle for the money. If you bought their action, bottom metal, the same McM stock, a fluted, chambered, threaded, button rifled barrel, Timney trigger, no way you could duplicate the deal for the same money. I can't wait to shoot this thing. And yes, I jumped on the PRC wagon to be able to launch the Berger 155's, if they ever come out, at anything and everything up to an Elk.
I do believe the 155 Berger has a suggested twist of 1:7, the rifle is 1:8 no? A good alternative is the matrix 160 grain, it's rated @ 1:8 twist 685 g1 bc.

brentc, did you do any kind of barrel break-in before shooting your Havak? Reason I ask is I just picked up one from Cabela's last Tuesday. Plan on shooting it next weekend and didn't see anywhere in the Seekins manual where they recommend any type of barrel break-in. Thanks!

Nope. I cleaned it up good after running a box through, but no formal break-in. I fall into the break-ins are a "waste of time, ammo/components, and barrel life" camp. My last 4 shot group with the 143 Precision Hunters with a cold clean bore went into .3 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.