Seekins Havak vs CA Mesa/Ridgeline

2BrownDogs

Forgive me for yet another "help me decide" thread, but I'm stuck. I'm looking for a western hunting rifle (elk, deer, bear, moose if I ever draw a tag) in 28 Nosler for ranges out to 800 yards max. I've been studying the CA models as well as the Seekins Havak PH2, both models are offered in 28 Nosler. Here's the kicker, I want a thumbhole stock since I've had my trigger finger amputated, and pull the trigger with my middle finger. I held a AG Composites Ferrata today and it's exactly what I'm looking for, unfortunately it's $750 by the time I get sling attachments and/or rail for bipod. I can get the Mesa online for $1,118, the Ridgeline for around $1700, and about the same for the Havak. To offset the cost of the aftermarket stock, I'll want to offload the factory stock. I've seen a few factory stocks for both models (Mesa and Ridgeline stock is the same) for sale on a couple forums, but I wonder what the demand is for either of them? I felt like I saw the stock on the Havak is a McMillan, although I haven't been able to confirm that. Are there any costs associated with swapping stocks that I'm not considering? I'm sure there will be some Smith labor for proper bedding. Any and all help is appreciated, I'm a relative newbie. TIA

I really suggest the havak. I've owned a ridgeline and a Mesa. Bought my dad a Havak in 6.5 prc about a year ago. It's a half moa gun w/ factory ammo. Better with hand loads. The mesa/ridgeline needed tinkered with and bedded to get to shoot decent. Neither rifle seemed to like factory ammo, although 2 years ago there weren't a lot of options for otc 30 & 28 nosler ammo. I suggest you go over to snipershide and look for a 25% discount code for seekins. I juts orderd a havak ph2 in 7mag, rings, brake, and a few other little pieces for 1600$ saved 450$ on rifle alone w/ discount code. I paid 25$ for the discount code.
Another note the CA stocks suck, combs super low for cheek weld. The havak stock is 6oz lighter plus has an elevated comb w/ bolt notch. Helps a lot while shooting long range and prone. I had to run stock packs with a lot of spacer strip underneath to get my cheek up on the CA sporter stock.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, that's exactly what I was looking for. 25% discount code?! That's awesome. Going over there now to search.

I really suggest the havak. I've owned a ridgeline and a Mesa. Bought my dad a Havak in 6.5 prc about a year ago. It's a half moa gun w/ factory ammo. Better with hand loads. The mesa/ridgeline needed tinkered with and bedded to get to shoot decent. Neither rifle seemed to like factory ammo, although 2 years ago there weren't a lot of options for otc 30 & 28 nosler ammo. I suggest you go over to snipershide and look for a 25% discount code for seekins. I juts orderd a havak ph2 in 7mag, rings, brake, and a few other little pieces for 1600$ saved 450$ on rifle alone w/ discount code. I paid 25$ for the discount code.
Another note the CA stocks suck, combs super low for cheek weld. The havak stock is 6oz lighter plus has an elevated comb w/ bolt notch. Helps a lot while shooting long range and prone. I had to run stock packs with a lot of spacer strip underneath to get my cheek up on the CA sporter stock.
I just got my Mesa and it shoots .5MOA with Hornady factory ELDm and it sits between .6-.7MOA with Hornady factory ELDx. Just saying I wouldnt say the havak is automatically better. There are equally bad reports of lemon havaks. Also, mesa is based off 700 action so if you ever wanted to change things it would be much easier on the Mesa. That being said, the Havak is definitely a gorgeous looking rifle with those fluted barrels! Id personally be ok with owning either depending on budget.

As a Mesa owner, I'd say you should probably look at the Havak. To sum my experience with the Mesa, a lot more loads shoot 3-5 MOA than in the .75 to 1.5 MOA range.

Another rifle to look at in that price range would be the Fierce Fury. My hunting partner has one and I believe it may be the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, factory or custom.

As a Mesa owner, I'd say you should probably look at the Havak. To sum my experience with the Mesa, a lot more loads shoot 3-5 MOA than in the .75 to 1.5 MOA range.

Another rifle to look at in that price range would be the Fierce Fury. My hunting partner has one and I believe it may be the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, factory or custom.
I guess I got lucky with mine then?

I guess I got lucky with mine then?

Luckier than me I guess. The group with the 181 hammers wasn't repeatable with H1000. I have some gunwerks brass on order and some reloader 23 to try with them to see if I can do better.

I did some more load workup this January and had pressure problems with published load data. My chronograph did confirm that I'm hitting pressure early with some bullets. Barnes load data says I should get about 2700fps with the 200gr lrx and 72.5 gr H1000. They list book maximum at 77.1gr H1000. At 72.5gr im borderline overpressure and getting 2920fps. I blow primers at 76gr of H1000. Its definitely the most funky rifle I've handloaded for.

Former Christensen owner here, I would certainly go havak if debating between those 2, although I've never touched a havak.

Get a Havak, you won't be disappointed. Took mine out for the first time a few weeks back. Three shots to get close to zero, then fired these 2 consecutive 4 shot groups at 100 yards with Hornady factory 108 gr ammo. Great rifle!

C4499EE0-BC70-4D13-8753-6624290B4A70.jpeg

DE9297E6-25D9-4738-88BE-FF3F374802C9.jpeg

AD102A99-3589-497B-99DD-B17C9CA39DC9.jpeg
59C9CD77-21E4-4C2B-A774-8F5D440FBA0B.jpeg
F0F14085-6115-4A1B-9723-DA343D07A231.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts