Seekins Havak Rifle

I would look at some of the reviews on LRO. I can GUARANTEE I am not lucky enough to get the only good 5 they put out. Like I said five with no problem getting under .5. Every one I have seen form the LRO guys does the same. Can you get a dud? Yep, that can happen no matter the money spent.

Very true. I never bought one because years ago they had trouble with their carbon barrels but im sure they have that figured out by now.

Very true. I never bought one because years ago they had trouble with their carbon barrels but im sure they have that figured out by now.

Rumor has it they used to wrap junk Remington barrels. Now they make their own. I am confident they have the barrel making figured out. The ones I have owned have been just as accurate as any custom barrel I have owned.

I personally would only own a Mesa, Ridgeline or maaaaaybe a ELR. I personally believe the Fierce is a much better rifle so when you get into its price range it would be the route I would go.

I've owned 4 Mesas and Ridgelines with a 5th one one the way. I currently own a Mesa and a Ridgeline. All of mine easily shot/shoot .5 moa and .25 moa was not hard to do with very little load development. I'm a very average shooter too. I personally think Christensen Arms Mesa and Ridgeline are about as good a deal as you can get on a "non-custom" rifle. I'm sold on them.

So I have started load development on the Havak in my safe. 6.5CM for reference.

The action is not smooth at all. Even with very light loads, it is very sticky to cycle the bolt. I only have 25 rounds through it. Hoping it will smooth out. But not impressed with the feel at all. Not one you are going to rip out empties and chamber a second shot quickly with. It is actually quite disappointing.

But....it is a shooter for sure. Using the 143 ELD-X that I have had very mixed results with in several rifles including 2 of my own 6.5s that shoot Bergers into .1 to .3s regularly. But I digress. This Havak is shooting in the .2 to .4s with every load I tried so far. Going to go out and work a seating depth test tomorrow with it. Two different powder charges and 4 seating depths with each. 2.246"CBTO (max mag length) on the two charge weights 41.5 & 42.5gr H4350 were both mid-high .2s.

I have shot several CA Ridgleines (3 @ 6.5CM, .280AI, 28 Nosler, .300RUM) They are much smoother actions, of course much lighter weight too. But not quite as accurate as the Havak I am loading for now. All are definitely .5MOA or better however. Plenty for a lightweight hunting rifle for sure.

So I have started load development on the Havak in my safe. 6.5CM for reference.

The action is not smooth at all. Even with very light loads, it is very sticky to cycle the bolt. I only have 25 rounds through it. Hoping it will smooth out. But not impressed with the feel at all. Not one you are going to rip out empties and chamber a second shot quickly with. It is actually quite disappointing.

But....it is a shooter for sure. Using the 143 ELD-X that I have had very mixed results with in several rifles including 2 of my own 6.5s that shoot Bergers into .1 to .3s regularly. But I digress. This Havak is shooting in the .2 to .4s with every load I tried so far. Going to go out and work a seating depth test tomorrow with it. Two different powder charges and 4 seating depths with each. 2.246"CBTO (max mag length) on the two charge weights 41.5 & 42.5gr H4350 were both mid-high .2s.

I have shot several CA Ridgleines (3 @ 6.5CM, .280AI, 28 Nosler, .300RUM) They are much smoother actions, of course much lighter weight too. But not quite as accurate as the Havak I am loading for now. All are definitely .5MOA or better however. Plenty for a lightweight hunting rifle for sure.

My Havak smoothed out quite a bit with use. The AI mags Cycle smoother than the P Mags too.

The accuracy is undeniable, though. My load for the 143s is 41.8 grains of H4350 in fired hornady brass loaded to the same OAL as the hornady precision hunters.

Don't the havak rifles come with a proprietary carbon mag that offers virtually unlimited oal for bullets or is that just the long action rifles?

Don't the havak rifles come with a proprietary carbon mag that offers virtually unlimited oal for bullets or is that just the long action rifles?

The PRC is the only short action that uses the CF magazine. All the other SA cartridges come with an AI compatible Magpul PMag.

BTW I had my Havak 6.5 CM out to 400 yards today and it was difficult to distinguish separate impacts on the steel plate. The Havaks are shooters. Mine is one of the originals with the McMillan stock.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.