Seekins Havak Pro Hunter

I read through most of this thread, and it hasn't really had much discussion of the Seekins HP1, so I thought I might offer some of my experience with it.

1) Seekins and their bolt gun line as a whole: with all due respect to Glen, and to Harley, I really think they're leaning out over their ski's right now with their bolt gun line. I expect this will get better in time, as their supply chain catches up, and they get more used to being a precision bolt action rifle semi-custom supplier, but for right now, there's really not much available for support or spare parts on these. I bought mine a year and a half ago with intentions to use it for precision rifle matches while my Deviant was getting built, and wanted to add some weight with the PH1 heavier barrel. I was told the drop in barrels would be available for sale within a few months - that was a year and a half ago. I even offered to send my rifle in after deer season to let THEM replace the barrel, since the 6 creed was burned out after a 1470rnd match season. When I had it at the smith to get a new Bartlein barrel installed (disappointing to have to do when Seekins is supposed to be selling drop-in barrels), he noticed I had a galling issue with my cocking piece after about 4,500 cycles. He reached out to Seekins, as did I, but it still took 2 weeks to be able to source a cocking piece, sent as a warranty item - which frankly looked exceedingly rough as if it had been hot dipped and pulled straight from the line, no carding. I reblued it myself. I also requested to BUY a spare firing pin assembly, which also took those 2 weeks of begging and brooding to even let me buy it. In his defense, Harley did have to make up a SKU and pricing for me, since this is a non-standard item. The bottom metal used in the HP1 isn't their standard, so when I asked for another mag release lever or even an entirely new bottom metal, it isn't available for sale - and it's a different footprint than their normal bottom metal (or M5). They're supposed to be selling bolt heads as well, but that's not looking like it will happen in 2019 even - after being "a few months out" for over a year. I'm sure eventually they'll get caught up in production and be able to better supply parts to service us guys shooting their rifles, but for now, it's a little rough.

2) Cock on close - this thing is "ALL" cock on close. I'm getting used to it and don't really notice it until I get on a different action. I have to drive my bolt a little harder than most guys want when I'm closing, but it still runs fast and tight.

3) Action cost vs. rifle cost: When you add up the parts in the Seekins HP1 (which mine was a McMillan Game Warden, not their new in house version), you're getting a list price $1250 action for about $250-300 in the package. It's a Rock Creek barrel, McMillan Game Warden stock, Seekins DBM, Timney 510, Seekins 20moa rail... All of that adds up to a pretty high price rig. The action has a DLC bolt, but a lugged, screw-on optic rail - so comparatively, it's priced about correctly in the market at $1250 for its feature set, but in the complete rifle, it's a steal.

4) Performance: Mine was a cloverleaf 3-5 shot rifle, .5-.6" 10 shot group rifle from factory. With the new Bartlein installed, my worst group during load work up was .47" and half of my groups (Satterlee method) were bugholes - so I'm not saying the Rock Creek HEAVILY fluted barrel was bad, and for an $1800 production rifle, I was plumb tickled, but it sure wasn't the same as the 'smith installed Bartlein. I did lose about 120fps in the first 250rnds, and lost ~15fps/100rnds between 1000 and 1400rnds.

5) Action feel: The DLC'd action is slick, and it's tight. A drop or two to keep it happy every match, and it's super slick, and stays that way even through blowing dust. I'm about 2500rnds and likely 10,000 cycles on the action now, I might be of the mind the DLC could use a redo, but same deal as new - a couple drops and even going 500rnds between cleaning, it stays slick and smooth. That Cock on Close feel is a deal breaker for some.

6) The 4 lug set up is 90* offset compared to most Rem pattern actions, which means the lug will reach down into AW mags and feed like a charm... That is, once you get the mag lips spread wide enough to clear the lugs and the bolt body, otherwise it crashes the mag like a freight train. Typical AI or other centerfeed mags need a lot of lip tuning as well, and I found the easiest plan was to trim the lips and set them down a bit to hold rounds without getting in the way of the bolt body. Once I found the sweet spot, it'll feed no matter what mag pressure I might find in any position.

7) For the money, I was happy with the rifle, and I'm still happy with the action. I added an Area419 Arcalock rail, replaced the Timney 510 with a Jewel HVR, added a Victor Cheek Riser, and had to open the barrel channel in the Game Warden stock for the M24 profile Bartlein it's wearing now, and for me, it does what I ask of it. Wouldn't pretend even as it is, it's the same as a Deviant or 591, but both of those actions cost more than half of what the whole Seekins Rifle cost. For the HUNTING RIFLE it was meant to be - it's a great rifle. Used the last shot the factory (Rock Creek) barrel ever fired to kill a buck that had been #2 on my hit list for 3 years - #1 on my list last winter.

Last edited:
Christensen Arms ridgeline is where I settled and I'm not disappointed that's breaking in I think 10 shots then adjust and put 3 in bullseye 300 win mag shooting nosler ammunition 180 grain accubond

Attachments

• E98994CF-FC71-4D61-B275-6A3E66CD0D92.jpeg
    E98994CF-FC71-4D61-B275-6A3E66CD0D92.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 340
Christensen Arms ridgeline is where I settled and I'm not disappointed that's breaking in I think 10 shots then adjust and put 3 in bullseye 300 win mag shooting nosler ammunition 180 grain accubond[/QUOTE
Awesome I have a ridgeline in 300wsm. The more you shoot it the smoother it will get.

I know you've had a number of suggestions, I'll throw my 2 cents in. I'm a big Sako/Tikka fan, I love my Sako 85 in good old -06. An 85 in 7 mag might be worth looking at. Pretty sweet and very accurate.

Agree! I live in a circular world. Lol actually would love to shoot those. See if the could keep up with my Savage 99 from 1903

Didn't post the quote "too far out of the box for me..."

I have a Havak hunter 6mm creed and I have to say for an all around off the shelf the Havak is hard to beat. I have a Christiansen Arms Mesa 300win and the Havak balance and overall quality is better. The accuracy in the Havak is boring. Everything from handloads to off the shelf is below .75, mostly everything is .5 or better. The action is smooth and tight. The 510 timmeny breaks clean right at 1.5lbs.

If your still gunna pickup 2 Havak rifles you should purchase a 30% off certificate from someone and save a good about of money. Two $2200 Havak rifles would only run you $3080! I was going to do that myself but ended up building two customs with proof CF barrels through Tscustoms. I was able to get a 30% off cert for $75 on snipershide and there's a few right now for I believed $100. Cant go wrong that way and with what your saving helps the scope budget!

If your still gunna pickup 2 Havak rifles you should purchase a 30% off certificate from someone and save a good about of money. Two $2200 Havak rifles would only run you $3080! I was going to do that myself but ended up building two customs with proof CF barrels through Tscustoms. I was able to get a 30% off cert for $75 on snipershide and there's a few right now for I believed $100. Cant go wrong that way and with what your saving helps the scope budget!

I am.looking for one of those 30% off coupons. Could you pm me a link?

I'm going to order 2 identical long range rifles. They will be used for beanfield deer rifles. Getting one for me and one for my Son-in Law. Have to watch costs since I am buying two. Looking at this rifle in 28 Nosler. Twist looks good for at least 180's, and features sound like a steal for the money. Since I've never seen, much less shot one, I need you guys to talk me into or out of it. Thanks in advance.

I've handled the Havak and thought it was a nice rifle. Found a great deal on a NIB Havak in 6CM for $1750 shipped from Mile High Shooting. Glad I waited for a sale! Can't wait to have it in my safe in a couple days. Just wish UPS would hurry.

I've handled the Havak and thought it was a nice rifle. Found a great deal on a NIB Havak in 6CM for $1750 shipped from Mile High Shooting. Glad I waited for a sale! Can't wait to have it in my safe in a couple days. Just wish UPS would hurry.

You're going to love that 6cm. Mine loves 42.2 gr H4350 Berger vld. 2inch groups at 450.... but also shoots 108gr Hornady match factory sub .6 every time. I sometimes question why I reload if I can get that accuracy from factory fodder

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.