Seeking advice.

Still working on joining the 6.5 Crew, but here is my drop in the bucket.
Got a .270 when I was 2. Shot 6 mule deer and an elk with it. I Thought I was in Heaven. Then I missed a buck at about 500-600 Yrds. 3 years in a row. Bought a Winchester chambered in .300 Weatherby, never saw the buck again:confused: . However the first 3 deer and 2 elk I shot after that were DRT (Dead Right There). 300 Yards to 500 Yards, Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5-10 X 44mm Duplex reticle, learned where it shoots and at what range (Most important here). Ive had her re-barreled after 30 years. But she's still my "go-to" gun.
I didn't think I was a recoil sissy till I shot her resting on a Rail Road Tie fence post and jerked her off the post (Safety on). Now she has a muzzle break and kicks like a .243. (Sounds like the rear of a bazooka). Hunt with Hearing protection now. (Electronic)

Another Tikka fan - CTR in 6.5 CM or 308 - the extra weight will negate any recoil and it will shoot. As far as the scope goes Vortex, Leupold, or even a Bushnell Forge .

You're not going to find a better price on a new Tikka. $490

Last edited:
I hunt pipeline and powerline right of ways a lot, so up to 500 yard shots are possible, but not probable. I do not reload. A big deer for me would be 175-200 lbs. I do a bit of both kinds of hunting, so I would prefer a lighter gun, 7-8 lb range.
[/QUOTE go with a 270 win or 30-06 u can find shells anywhere and they pack more punch at longer range than a 6.5 creed.

Still working on joining the 6.5 Crew, but here is my drop in the bucket.
Got a .270 when I was 2. Shot 6 mule deer and an elk with it. I Thought I was in Heaven. Then I missed a buck at about 500-600 Yrds. 3 years in a row. Bought a Winchester chambered in .300 Weatherby, never saw the buck again:confused: . However the first 3 deer and 2 elk I shot after that were DRT (Dead Right There). 300 Yards to 500 Yards, Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5-10 X 44mm Duplex reticle, learned where it shoots and at what range (Most important here). Ive had her re-barreled after 30 years. But she's still my "go-to" gun.
I didn't think I was a recoil sissy till I shot her resting on a Rail Road Tie fence post and jerked her off the post (Safety on). Now she has a muzzle break and kicks like a .243. (Sounds like the rear of a bazooka). Hunt with Hearing protection now. (Electronic)
You were using holdovers with a duplex reticle at 500 yards on game? Did you have a rangefinder?

150 gr at 2950 fps vs a 140 6.5 at 2600 fps I can shoot 1and half inches high and be dead on at 300 yards you can't do that with creed It drops too fast.
I guess long range means different things to different people...to me long range starts out past 600 yards. If you are going to use handload speeds with your 270 you probably ought to use handload speeds with the 6.5 and put the 140 at 2800 fps.

What ever you choose, spend some time behind it, and practice, and not just off the bench... good luck with your choice.
Mike

P7id10t the 6.5x55 when hand loaded is one fine round and very accurate blows the shine off the creedmore. and just very plesant too shoot.. I have been looking for one but no company makes them glad to hear tikka.. I wish they would build an 8x57 on a 24" tube they are awsone rounds. by the way I am a swede thus I love 6.5 s.
CZ used to make a 6.5x55. I have a close friend that has one and it drives tacks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.