Seeking advice.

If you were operating on a $2000 budget (rifle/scope), and you were primarily hunting deer and the occasional elk, what would you buy? I'm also looking to punch some paper out to 600 yards. I'm not married to any brands or calibers in particular. My son has a 6.5 Creedmoor, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I ended up getting another one, but I would be willing to look at other calibers, although I am a recoil sissy and his is a lot of fun to shoot. Anyway, thanks in advance for your willingness to share.
Since you like the 6.5 already, I would stay with that. I have a few that I prefer 264 Mag. Elk, 6.5 X 55 Deer-Pronghorn, 260 Deer, 6.5 X 284 Matches and there are more to select from and array of projectiles as well. I prefer the 160 Matrix for Elk, and the 140 Partitions for Deer-Pronghorn.

I'd make it easy and just use the 140 Part for all that moves:)

Ace-how many elk have you taken with the 160 Matrix and how'd it perform?

Id choose one of the classic standard cartridges with 308 being on the low end as far as capacity. 30-06, 270, 280, 308, 7mm mag, 300 mag. Or if you feel like getting kinda weird a 338 federal, 338-06, or 35 whelen would be cool too. Tikka rifles are real nice for the money.

Last edited:
If you were operating on a $2000 budget (rifle/scope), and you were primarily hunting deer and the occasional elk, what would you buy? I'm also looking to punch some paper out to 600 yards. I'm not married to any brands or calibers in particular. My son has a 6.5 Creedmoor, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I ended up getting another one, but I would be willing to look at other calibers, although I am a recoil sissy and his is a lot of fun to shoot. Anyway, thanks in advance for your willingness to share.
A person can buy a nice low round, used rifle with a good scope if you look for it. Some of the time fantastic deals are found in pawn shops or advertised in papers as they need to move their inventory or people need cash. I would encourage you to look soon as hunting season is coming and good ones will be harder to find and more expensive. Happy shooting.

What do you have now?
Where are you in Arkansas, I can let you look through a couple different FFP scopes if you are close to central. PM if ya want.

It would be hard to beat a Ruger American Predator for about $450. My 6.5 CM shoots .5 MOA with the factory Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X right out of the box. Then you could spend the rest on a good quality scope of your choice.

Personally I would go with a Tikka T3 in 7mm RM or 300 WM with a brake. Mine loves the 178 and 200 gr Eldx and both are more than appropriate for elk under 600yds. Leupold and Vortex has a good warranty and tbh almost any scope in the $700 range will do just fine up to 600 yds. Later on, you can buy a pre-fit barrel for it for a few hundred dollars.
With your budget, I will stay away from Rem 700 because in the future if you want to upgrade it will cost more due to fact that you have to blueprint the action among other things.

P7id10t the 6.5x55 when hand loaded is one fine round and very accurate blows the shine off the creedmore. and just very plesant too shoot.. I have been looking for one but no company makes them glad to hear tikka.. I wish they would build an 8x57 on a 24" tube they are awsone rounds. by the way I am a swede thus I love 6.5 s.

Since a lot of people are saying Tikka. I'll throw out there a Model 70 featherweight if you like wood stocks. Or a X bolt Hell's Canyon. In any of the cartridges already mentioned. Since you're talking hunting, then top it with a Vortex Razor HD LH.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.