Seeking advice.

hsc_hanger501

If you were operating on a $2000 budget (rifle/scope), and you were primarily hunting deer and the occasional elk, what would you buy? I'm also looking to punch some paper out to 600 yards. I'm not married to any brands or calibers in particular. My son has a 6.5 Creedmoor, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I ended up getting another one, but I would be willing to look at other calibers, although I am a recoil sissy and his is a lot of fun to shoot. Anyway, thanks in advance for your willingness to share.

Where is @FEENIX ?
5AFAADFB-FEAF-4C50-A9DC-65195668A59D.gif

What range will you be hunting at? Assuming closer than the 600 for paper? Do you reload? How big are your deer?

First thought, if you don't reload, is to get a classic cartridge with good barrel life and readily available ammo such as a 30-06 or a 270win. Put a brake on it if you're recoil sensitive. Do you spot/stalk or stand hunt? That'll determine weight you want...from these answers we can start to narrow down some results.

If you were operating on a $2000 budget (rifle/scope), and you were primarily hunting deer and the occasional elk, what would you buy? I'm also looking to punch some paper out to 600 yards. I'm not married to any brands or calibers in particular. My son has a 6.5 Creedmoor, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I ended up getting another one, but I would be willing to look at other calibers, although I am a recoil sissy and his is a lot of fun to shoot. Anyway, thanks in advance for your willingness to share.
You may have answered your own question. Nothing wrong with any of the 6.5s

Where is @FEENIX ?
View attachment 196476

What range will you be hunting at? Assuming closer than the 600 for paper? Do you reload? How big are your deer?

First thought, if you don't reload, is to get a classic cartridge with good barrel life and readily available ammo such as a 30-06 or a 270win. Put a brake on it if you're recoil sensitive. Do you spot/stalk or stand hunt? That'll determine weight you want...from these answers we can start to narrow down some results.

I hunt pipeline and powerline right of ways a lot, so up to 500 yard shots are possible, but not probable. I do not reload. A big deer for me would be 175-200 lbs. I do a bit of both kinds of hunting, so I would prefer a lighter gun, 7-8 lb range.

Where is @FEENIX ?
View attachment 196476

L 😇 L! Looks like you're just fine ...

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Last edited:

Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! How about you start from what you already have in your firearms inventory, to prevent duplication. I understand it is not for everybody but recoil can be mitigated with an effective muzzle brake, and there are plenty of choices. Here's an example ...

Scope wise, the more pertinent information you can provide, the better yield you get for a recommendation such as ...

- Budget (most important IMHO)
- It never hurt to add any personal research done (to prevent duplication of effort)
- Intended purpose and at what range (you got this)
- SFP vs FFP
- Fixed vs Variable
- Magnification range
- Illum vs non-illum
- 1" vs 30MM or larger
- Weight restriction
- Length restriction
- Reticle
- Zero stop/non-zero stop
- Zero or canted mounting

... just for starters.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.