Seeking Advice Montana Hunt

A private party bounty? By who? You can't even kill enough wolves with legal tags to make a bounty make any sense. If SSS had any prayer of working we wouldn't have the wolves we do. Wow. And if it takes a bounty for Montana hunters to get off their butt to hunt wolves, that's pretty fricken sad. 406muley

They are looking at at state level, and I said they are looking at it. I don't think it will go anywhere. If you remember correctly Rocky Mountain Elk endorsement for releasing the wolfs. I drop my membership with them. Now I haven't done a lot into wolf hunting yet, but working on a rifle to extend my range, because it's been my understanding are very smart, and hard to close the distance on them. I do watch for them and coyotes all the time. Wyoming allows all year around hunting of wolfs without a licenses in state or out of stater in most areas.

Do you have a link to RMEF endorsing wolves? This all started in 1994 you know. And a link to the bounty program would be appreciated also. Check the Wyoming regs again. 406muley

No problem on the fork in the conversation. It is easy for multiple ideas to come up. I appreciate all the ideas and input. So far I am pretty well set on keeping the Rock Creek 300 rum and selling the customized factory Rem 700. I will have to follow up on the wolf permit questions. I hadn't given that any thought. The elevation here is about 880. I plan to start getting in better shape. Also looking at some packs for the rifle instead of just relying on a sling to be more comfortable hiking.

It was mentioned Bears and a lot of them. But of which type would be of importance. Just an interested reader and dreamer to hunt Montana.
Black bear and Grizzly Bear. The fall Black bear hunt coincides during elk general season, so you could also have a black bear tag in your pocket.
So far no grizzly hunts/tags currently available.

I'm 67, and I switched to a Browning Mountain Ti in 7mm WSM several years ago. My longest shot on a bull elk was 340 yards. My rifle with scope and sling weighs 6.5 lbs. I load my shells down to 2850 fps with 168 gr. Bergers, which you could probably duplicate with a 7mm-08. The recoil is tolerable, and the rifle is a joy to carry. Look into a Safari sling for your dad. It is by far the most comfortable way to carry a rifle. It works great, as long as you are extremely careful about where your muzzle is pointed. If you go with the RUM, shoot quality bullets that won't explode at close range. For elk, I recommend heavy for caliber bullets. The Bergers I shoot have a sectional density of .298, and work very well. You don't say where you're from, but altitude is a big deal. Read up on high altitude sickness and aclimate at high elevation a couple of days before the hunt if you can. Go light! I recommend Merrel Goretex boots for moderate weather hunting.
He said he was from Tennessee

The biggest change between hunting where you live and Montana is the range. While 300 yards may be considered long range in the Eastern deer camps, I was told to be prepared for shots to at least 600 yards for my first Montana elk hunt. I practiced & got ready for 500-600 yard shots, then ended up shooting a large 6x6 bull at less than 9 yards. I could have used a Speer.

The next issue is the terrain to be covered. In the parts of Montana I've hunted, elk move over huge areas, and much of it is vertical. Physical conditioning almost always ends up being the limiting factor for a Western elk hunt.

Are you using horses and or mules for getting around? Many areas do not allow motor vehicles, so unless you plan on packing in everything you need and packing out hundreds of pounds of meat on your backs, livestock are very helpful.

First thing Brian is thank you for your service as a police officer whether federal, state,county or city.
Funny thing happens every year I hunt as my Remington rifle gains weight,I don't know how but it get's heavier every year or maybe I'm just getting older.
I can drive 30-40 minutes to where I hunt and due to my Remington 300 win mags propensity to gaining weight I will be hunting with my much lighter 30-06 with 180 gr Partitions.I have killed many elk and Muley's with that rifle and bullet and out to the distance you mentioned and a couple of hundred yards more.The bullet has a lead tip and I bet your father has used them years ago.
Just a thought.
Old Rooster

First thing Brian is thank you for your service as a police officer whether federal, state,county or city.
Funny thing happens every year I hunt as my Remington rifle gains weight,I don't know how but it get's heavier every year or maybe I'm just getting older.

A big amen to both of these things!

Have a super week all

The problem I see with what ever caliber and gun you choose is trying to get one in time for you to get it sighted in and comfortable with it. You'll be lucky to see it in 6 months at best.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.